10.13.2011

PIzza? Spaghetti? Lasagna? Goulash?

Try all four combined to make one incredible dinner! For the sake of ease I'll stick with the name that I found the recipe under - Pizza Casserole.

Who do I have to thank for another outstanding dish? None other than Abby of course! Since following her I have long since said adios to cookbooks and scouring the Internet for fabuloso recipes. Rather, I just check out what she's made and it generally ends up on my plate that night, or the following night.

When I saw this beauty I knew it was a must. If you're a fan of pizza, or spaghetti, or lasagna, or goulash you must do yourself a service and make this. It's super easy and will leave you with PLENTY of leftovers (unless you're feeding six or more).

Pizza Casserole


1 bag of egg noodles (no yolk)
1 can of extra large spaghetti sauce (I couldn't find a spaghetti sauce that I liked in the extra large cans, so I bought two cans of my favorite)
3 cups of shredded Mozzarella cheese (2% or partial skim milk)
1.5 lbs of ground turkey (the original recipe calls for ground beef, but you know my thoughts on all that)
1 package pepperoni (again, I used the turkey variety)
1 can of mushrooms (Scott detests mushrooms, so I omitted them - it would taste AH-MAY-ZING with mushrooms!!)
1/2 large onion chopped (the original recipe didn't call for onions, but I thought "what the heck")
Plenty of Italian seasoning


1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Boil the egg noodles according to the instructions on the package. My package called for 7-9 minutes boiling, but I only boiled for 5. With all the spaghetti sauce being used I figured the noodles would continue to soften while baking in the oven. The noodles turned out great, not too soggy.
3. Brown your ground turkey (or hamburger) in a skillet; add chopped onions and mushrooms.
4. Add a generous amount of Italian seasoning to ground turkey mix, taste occasionally to ensure it's to your liking.
5. If you're using a pan that is not non-stick, be sure to grease your pan.
6. Spread a layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of your pan.
7. Add half your noodles on top of the spaghetti sauce.
8. Add half the meat mixture atop the noodles.
9. Place half the sauce on top of the meat mixture.
10. Layer the rest of the noodles on top of the meat mixture.
11. Add half the cheese to the noodles.
12. Place the rest of the meat on top of the cheese.
13. Add remaining sauce to the meat.
14. Place last half of cheese atop the last layer of sauce.
15. Cover the cheese with a generous layer of pepperoni.
16. Cover you pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
17. After 30 minutes, remove foil and continue baking for 15 minutes.
18. When baking is complete allow dish to cool for at least 10 minutes.

I know it looks like a lot of steps, but I just broke every little part down. From start to finish I think the whole process took me 20 minutes (excluding the oven time).

Scott and I both enjoyed this, and it has been added to our rotation of favorites!
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment