10.21.2011

Creamy Cheesy Chicken

It was another crock pot kind of day for me. The weather wasn't unbearable, but I just didn't want to deal with a bunch of dishes and clean up. Plus, for me, the idea of throwing a few ingredients into one pot, turning a knob to high (or low) and coming back to it 4-6 hours later with a finished product never gets old!

When I found this recipe it had just been created, so a name hadn't been given to it. I'm just going to call it Creamy Cheesy Chicken.

Creamy Cheesy Chicken
Don't be fooled by the lack of color in this dish. There is flavor in every bite!

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 10 oz container of tomato basil Philadelphia cooking cream (I couldn't find that particular type, so I just used Garden Veggie Cream cheese)
1 can cream of chicken (use the Campbell's Healthy Request to cut back on fat)
1 cup Velveeta shreds (get a brick of Velveeta, cut about 1/3 of the brick off and cut that 1/3 into smaller cubs; I always have trouble locating the Velveeta in the grocery store, if you do to, it's most likely in the cracker isle)
1/2 an onion cut into rings
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used 3 cloves)
1 cup carrot chips (use a food chopper save yourself a ton of time, and to get nice little pieces of carrots)
Basil - I added a few dashes of basil, but would have used much more, a tsp may have worked better that the little bit I used

Place chicken on bottom of crock pot, add all ingredients atop the chicken.
Cook on high 4-6 hours (I put my chicken in the crock pot totally thawed, so it only took about 4 hours of cook time).
Serve over angel hair pasta (I used egg noodles - less fat, more protein)


The dish doesn't have a whole lot of color to it, but don't let that sway you from all the flavors you'll receive with each fork full. Some bites seemed super cheesy, while other bites pulled out the cream cheese flavor, and every now and again I'd get a hint of carrot. I commented to Scott how the dish kind of reminded me of a "grown up" version of mac n cheese.

Side note: If you try the Italian chicken I would suggest waiting awhile to make this dish. They are a bit similar, and you want to give your taste buds a break between dishes so you can fully enjoy each dish in its entirety.

Enjoy!

Source 

No comments:

Post a Comment