8.10.2012

Honey Coconut Blueberry Bran Muffins

Doesn't that just sound good? Honey. Coconut. Blueberry. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Breakfast isn't really my thing. There's not much about breakfast that tickles my fancy. According to Scott, my six cups of coffee does not constitute breakfast. I disagree. I have to admit, there are some mornings I need a little something (other than my beloved cup of joe) to give me a kick start. When I came across these gems I knew I'd found a winner.

Honey Coconut Blueberry Bran Muffins
1 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (I wasn't about to buy a special kind of flour, I used my regular ol' white flour and it worked juuuuust fine)
1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I'm no walnut fan, these were omitted)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp coconut oil (or canola oil)
2 large eggs, beaten
12 oz blueberries
Preheat oven to 400.
Line muffin tin with liners.
Combine wheat bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Stir in coconut (and nuts, if you so choose to use them).
In a separate bowl, blend applesauce, milk, honey, oil, vanilla, and egg.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Fold in blueberries.
Use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin cups with batter.
Bake 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
My fingers kept wandering to the blueberry bowl. The berries are SO GOOD right now; they are exploding with flavor. Can't get enough of them!!

Because I'll be the only one eating these I've frozen a majority of them. When it's time to devour them I'll just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up, and ta-da, breakfast is ready.

The fruit combo for these seem endless. I'm already thinking how great some strawberries, or peaches might taste in these. This fall, I think I'll even throw in a little pumpkin spice.

It appears I've found something to accompany my coffee in the mornings.
Here's the nutritional info:
Yields 16-20 muffins
Calories - 144
Fat - 4.8g
Carbs - 24g
Fiber - 4g
Protein - 3.4g

Enjoy!

Source: Adaptations from Skinnytaste - if you're looking for some delicious, healthy meals be sure to check out this blogger!!

1 comment: