8.21.2012

Cheesy Broccoli Orzo

There's nothing more frustrating when making dinner  than trying to decide on a good side to complete the meal. I can do rice, potatoes, a steamed veggie, or a salad so many times before I become bored. When I came across this easy recipe I knew I'd struck gold.

I fancified (I'm pretty sure I just made that a word) my dinner ten-fold when I placed a hearty scoop of this deliciousness next to my grilled chicken. And, after I thoroughly cleaned my plate of each tasty orzo morsel I went back for seconds. Hey, don't judge, you'll do the same when you taste this stuff.

Ditch the baked potatoes tonight. Give these a shot. You can always thank me later!

Cheesy Broccoli Orzo
Serves 4
1 cup orzo
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp butter
1/4-1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
salt, to taste
Add orzo to a large pot of salted boiling water.
Cook for 3 minutes, then add chopped broccoli and cook for 2 more minutes, or until orzo is tender.
Drain very well (broccoli is know to hang onto water).
Return broccoli/orzo to pot.
Add cheeses, butter, and 1/4 cup milk.
Stir well.
Add more milk if needed.
Season with salt to taste.

This took me all of 10 minutes, start to finish, to make.
Here's the nutritional break down:
Calories - 136
Fat - 6.5g
Carbs - 34g
Fiber - 2.5g
Protein - 9.5g

If you have a fabulous side let me know, I'm all ears, and always looking for something new!

Source: Iowa Girl Eats

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried orzo! I'm gonna grab a box next time I go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love orzo! It's really just a fancy little pasta that's reminiscent of rice. This is SO EASY, give it a shot and let me know what you think!!

      Delete