8.09.2012

Chicken Posole Verde

Lately the little man goes down for an evening nap around 5:00ish. I get about 30 minutes to myself to scramble and prep and make dinner. Thirty minutes people, that's not much time. Good thing I did a little leg work before stressing scrambling making dinner.

If you've never used a rotisserie chicken to help cut your prep time down let me suggest you do so. This was my first time using the nifty short cut. I'll be more than happy the shell out the $7.00 again to save myself some time.

Chicken Posole Verde (pronounced po-SO-lay)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 can white hominy, drained
2 cups chicken broth
1 can medium green enchilada sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano (I have no idea what Mexican oregano is, and I have plenty of good ol' regular oregano that worked swell)
2 cup diced cooked chicken (I just used the whole rotisserie)
1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage (not big cabbage eaters in this house, so I omitted it)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime

Add oil and pressed garlic to a large skillet; heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until garlic is golden brown and fragrant.
Meanwhile, drain hominy.
Immediately add broth, enchilada sauce, water, oregano and hominy to skillet; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 8 minutes.
As hominy mixture comes to a boil, dice chicken.
Add chicken to skillet; simmer until heated through.
As posole simmers, thinly slice cabbage (which I didn't do) and chop cilantro. Slice lime into wedges.
To serve, divide posole among serving bowls; top with cabbage.
Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
This one-skillet wonder was action packed with flavor. Scott thought it was reminiscent of a white chicken chili, which is always a hit in our house.

Total prep and cook time, and I went ahead and washed a few baby bottles while I had the chance, was 30 minutes.

And, let's not forget the nutrition content:
Yields 4 servings
Calories - 290
Fat - 11g
Carbs - 22g
Fiber - 5g
Protein - 23g
Dig in and enjoy!

Source: The Pampered Chef; 29 Minutes to Dinner, From Everyday to Gourmet

1 comment:

  1. That looks GOOD! I love the rotisserie chicken. It makes chicken enchiladas, chicken quesadillas, chicken ANYTHING a much easier meal.

    ReplyDelete