1.16.2014

The Green Folder

While out to eat with friends a while ago the topic of this blog came up. One of our friends chirped up, "What's a blog?" I think he was semi-kidding. At least I hope. But, how exactly does a blogger answer that question to a non-blogger/non-blog reader?

I wasn't sure how to answer the question. Naturally, I did what any blogger does. I kind of skirted around the inquiry and we went about dinner.

It was while we were opening Christmas gifts with my family that the answer to the "what is a blog" question came to me.

One of the last gifts to be opened was from my dad. It was a thin package, roughly the size of a standard sheet of paper and no thicker than a half an inch. After the wrapping paper was removed I saw a simple, green folder. A bit confused I took a closer look and opened the folder.
For almost four years my dad had worked on and written his life story, right up until the moment we opened gifts.

As our night quietly came to a close I opened the folder again and began reading. There were so many stories from my dad's childhood that I had never heard. There were stories that I remember being told at family gatherings. And, there were stories of my brother and me, as told by my dad, that I had never known. I read his story, cover to cover, and savored every written word my dad had left me.
That simple, green folder is priceless. It is by far the greatest, most treasured thing I have ever received.

After I closed the folder it dawned on me… This blog is my green folder to Marcus.


In related news: Does anyone know if there is a way to print off the blog posts without using a screen shot, or "file" + "print"? I don't like how either looks when printed… Thanks in advance!

19 comments:

  1. That is so cool. There is a website I've heard about called Blog to Print (http://blog2print.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html) that you can print your blog into a book. Maybe worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!!! I would kill to have something like that from my dad! That is one of the reasons I scrapbook. I want the kids to know that we did some pretty cool stuff when they were little, and with scrapbooking, you can add your personal touch unlike just throwing some pictures in an album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word... BEST GIFT EVER!! Thanks for asking about the Blog to Print. I am totally looking into this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would kill for something like this! I think there are several website that can turn your blog posts into like a book, but I'm not sure otherwise about the printing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the most treasured gift your dad could ever give to you! How amazing! I remember when I was little I would roll my eyes when my dad would tell stories about his childhood. Now I seriously could sit and listen to him for hours about his life. Your dad sounds like a pretty amazing man! And i'm glad you asked about printing blogs, because I have often wondered this as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one might be one of my favorite posts. So beautifully written! I think my blog needs to go through a million edits before I would allow Emma's eyes on it. Maybe I should just filter myself a bit more? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome gift!!
    (Let me know if you find out about the printing. I've been wanting to do that too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgosh. tears.
    how amazing is your dad to think of that!! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! My mom used to print off my blog and keep it in a 3 ring binder for my grandmothers and aunt (who didn't get online) to read. I should keep up the hard copy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat of your dad to do that! Wonder how he hid it from you from all these years! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome your dad did that! Also that is the perfect way to describe a blog! I always struggle with that question too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome gift! I would love to have something like that from my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that!! With my father and father-in-law being gone I would love to have something that I could read and hold onto from them like that. You have a great dad!!

    Laura @ Mice In The Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this! such an amazing keepsake to always be able to remember your dad and see life from his point of view! I really would love it if my dad would do the same. I think I need to do some coaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so cool that your dad did that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! It's exciting when you realize just how important your blog will be for your kids. Makes me happy that I blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this!! Sometimes we forget that our parents were not always our parents. They lived lives, had friends, and did things that made their lives turn out the way that they did. And yes, this blog is your green folder and I'm glad that you have shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Someone just recommended me this article because I wrote a similar post! This is so incredibly encouraging. Lately I've been playing the numbers game and comparing myself to everyone, and my husband helped me realize that is not what it's about. I'm so grateful for posts like this that remind me what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete