1.30.2014

Just Breathe

I lace up my shoes, giving them one last good tug.

Breathe. Just breathe.

The first few minutes slip by easily. Quickly.

Breathe. Just breathe.

One foot in front of the other.
A mile has gone by. Now two. I'm approaching the third.

Breathe. Just breathe.

The familiar burning that runs through my thighs and quads sneaks up on me. Yet, it is oh so welcome. I gladly push through it.

Breathe. Just breathe.

My pace is slower than normal, but I'm alright with it.

Breathe. Just breathe.

Before I know it the half way point has come and gone. I turn around and begin my trek back.

Breathe. Just breathe.

For these 60 minutes, this one glorious hour, I don't have to worry about anything. Except breathing.

Breathe. Just breathe.

My legs are quietly begging me to stop. My head refuses to give in to the whispered protests of my muscles. If I stop now all the stresses that have been mounting will invade this sanctuary I've created.

Breathe. Just breathe.

The miles come to an end. The run is over, at least for today.
Like a sweet, savory release, my head is a little clearer, my mood a little better, my attitude a little brighter.
Before I head back to the realities that face our every day I take one more minute.

Breath. Just breathe.


13 comments: