6.05.2013

And Away We Go!

As you read this Marcus and I are either on our way to the airport, at the airport, or jetting off in a plane.
Image source
While this is normally no big deal, as we've flown several times with Marcus, this time it's a whole new ballgame. It's just Marcus and me. Just typing that sends my anxiety over the top.

Scott's workload right now is beyond ridiculous. His days typically start at 5:00AM (though yesterday the alarm started blaring at 2:00AM), and he isn't home until 6:00PM... If we're lucky. And, even when he is home he's working. He forewarned me the month of June was going to be pretty crazy. Though were only a few days deep, he's been spot on.
Image source
Last week I had a small taste of what it would be like to be a single parent. Scott was away for four days for training. It was just Marcus, Drake, Izzy and me holding down the fort. By the end of the week I felt as if Marcus sent me through the laundry spin cycle a dozen times.

I don't know how you single parents do it. Hats off to you. Being a full-time Mommy no joke, but being Mommy and Daddy is serious stuff.

With all that said, Marcus and I are on our way to Iowa (for a month!), I'm not good at the single parent thing... My excitement is indescribable, but we are going to miss Scott something fierce.

There are so many activities planned for our trip, I don't even know where to begin.

  • Lots of time spent with my family. This also means Grandma D, Grandpa D, Uncle Tyler and his sweet girlfriend Amber are helping with Marcus. They may not know they've signed up for this duty, but they'll figure it out when we get there!
  • My BFF has kindly offered a weekend retreat to her parents lake house. Wheee! 
  • My blogging BFF's baby is having a birthday party; we're headed to the party to celebrate Mace turning one! And, this will be my first time meeting Sally, IN REAL LIFE! (I'm so nervous about this, maybe more so than my first real date.)
  • It's been brought to my attention (thanks, Erin!) that summer means one thing in Iowa (besides sweet corn), "townie days" and county fairs! Every town has a fair and/or a carnival. There's nothing more fun, and maybe a little red-neck, than those big celebrations on Main Street, in the middle of Po-Dunk, Iowa. Marcus might get his first experience of the wonder of funnel cakes and the smell of money (also known as manure). 
  • Eventually, Scott will meet up with us, and we're headed to a wedding reception. Hellllo adult time with good friends and good drinks!
After all that Iowa fun, we're headed to Kansas City for more family time with the Macke side of the family. Kansas City also means time spent on The Plaza, backyard beverages with some of our favorite friends, long runs on some of my favorite running trails, and last but certainly not least, bar-b-que! 
Image source
It's all going to be amazing.

I would have never thought, not in a million years, I'd be this excited to head home. All the things that seemed so silly (maybe even stupid) when I lived there are now the things I'm looking forward to the most.

In the meantime, while we're on our way to all that greatness, please say a few extra prayers for our travels. This Momma is so nervous about being "that parent" with "that kid" on the plane and in the airport. What the heck are we going to do to keep Marcus entertained for two hours of airport waiting, a two hour flight, an hour layover, followed by another two hour flight, only to end with an hour long car trip home? 
My head already hurts... 


16 comments:

  1. Hope everything goes well with the traveling! It sounds like your month home will be well worth any stressful flights with a toddler. :) Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a super wonderful time! :)

    Laura@MiceInTheKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!! I'm holding back tears b/c I am so excited for you!!! Iowa is just so awesome, glad you'll be here enjoying it for awhile! Too bad w/o your hubby, tho. Have fun!!! Will you be blogging while here??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I can understand how you can be excited and sad at the same time. You get to see all your family and friends, but at the same time, you'll be away from Scott.

    Sending some extra happy thoughts that it will be smooth travels the whole entire way! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like so much fun! Praying for smooth travels :) We just went home to Delaware to visit with my family and it was amazing. I love going back home. PS-I will share the 3D photos! It was such an awesome experience <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish we were gonna be there when you were. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!!! Have a great time in IA and KC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the flight went well! Have fun in KC for me! I am so sad I am not going home this summer. Eat a ton of barbecue and enjoy the city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so jealous of you! hope you will have lots of fun there :) xx

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my!!!
    so much work :( it is the same for isaiah.
    i hope that your travels with marcus went well!
    where in iowa will you be?! i wonder how far that is from me, haha.
    jealous that you & sally get to meet! i adore the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope everything goes well!! We are flying for our first time with Mav tomorrow! I'm very nervous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg! I think you'll do great! I wish I had advice on how to keep him cranky free on the plane. But I have a feeling you got this!

    Have the best trip! You have so much planned that I'm feeling all sorts of excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back!! And yes, the "townie" festivals are a must! We have at least two on our calendar this summer haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope you have the best time! and remember, MN isnt far away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, that's so fun yet so sad to be without your hubby! Hopefully you will have so much fun that it'll fly by. Enjoy it (if you can!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! It sounds like you're going to have a great month. I've never been to Iowa, but we have family in Kansas City and I love the Plaza. If you happen to pass through St. Louis at some point, we should totally meet up. :-)

    ReplyDelete