10.12.2012

The Best Carrot Bars

When it comes to carrot cake/bars I'm kind of a snob. Perhaps it's because I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to said bars/cake. For instance, I can't deal with raisins baked into any food, and the minute I bite down into an actual sliver of carrot it's game over. When it comes to carrot bars/cake I want its carroty goodness smooth and moist, and that's it. Oh yes, and let's not forget the topping better be dripping with cream cheese deliciousness.

These bars remind me so much of growing up. My mom used to make them, and I loved them every bit as much then as I do now.

Remember, back in the day, when you brought your own homemade goodies to school for your birthday? Well, these were amongst my all time favorite treats; I brought them to school in 1st or 2nd grade for my birthday. Forget the chocolate or white cake, these bars were IT. What 7-year old likes carrot cake that much? This girl.

It had been ages since I've had these, so I managed to snag the recipe from mi madre, and immediately made these.

The icing on the cake (pun semi intended) is that recipe is crazy simple. Borderline embarrassing simple. But, when it tastes this good, who cares?! Honestly, the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the cake to cool before slathering in cream cheese frosting.

Carrot Bars
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (I substituted the oil for 3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, phenom!)
2 cup flour
2 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3 small jars carrot baby food (yep, baby food, folks)
The secret ingredient!! 
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients, except baby food, well.
Mix in baby food.
Lightly grease a 10x15 jelly roll pan.
Pour carrot batter in jelly roll pan.
Bake 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 pkg cream cheese, well softened
1/4 tsp almond extract

Cream all ingredients together.
Pour over cooled bars.
Oh my gosh. So FREAKIN' GOOD!
Break away from all the pumpkin bars and cakes and muffins and such for just a sec, and give carrots a little cameo in your sweet tooth rotation.

Side note: When I took the bars out of the oven I noticed this:
Ummm, think my oven sits at an angle? Geesh. How does one go about fixing that?

Source: Mi madre :)

No comments:

Post a Comment