9.13.2012

USS Iowa

I was perusing through my photos when I came across a set that I'd totally forgotten about...

Back in July my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and nephews came out to visit us for a few days. While they were here the USS Iowa had its grand opening to the public. I was more than pumped to check out this battle ship. Being slightly more than out of the history loop when it came to the ship didn't deter me in the slightest. This massive floating vessel  was the USS I.O.W.A. That automatically made it awesome in my book!
The USS Iowa
It doesn't seem like that long ago we toured the ship, but looking at the little man and how BIG he's gotten since then is a nice little reminder how fast time flies! There is no way we could comfortably get Marcus in the carrier shown in the above photo.
Our nephews ready to board the ship!
Heading on to the ship. The thing looked big from afar, but as we were boarding it was apparent how MASSIVE it really was.
Look at those guns (on the ship)! They could do some serious damage, they are GINORMOUS.
This was my favorite part of the ship. The flag is painted on.
Doesn't it just seem as if the vessel goes on for ever and ever?!  
The photo doesn't do the artillery justice, but here are the stats on this monster:
16 inch 50 calibre projectile, rate of fire 2 round per minute, 64 inches tall, effective range 23 miles, creates creator 50 feet wide and 20 feet deep. INSANE, right?!!
 We had toured about half the ship when someone became a fussy pants. No, not Scott. The little monkey was about four months old and he was not impressed with our maritime adventure.
I can't get over how small he is here! He's changed SO MUCH in just over two months!
We gave him a quick bottle and promptly left.  We didn't want to be those parents. You know exactly what I'm talking about, the parents with screaming kid who makes every one else's experience less than stellar.
Will go back, when we have a babysitter, or when Marcus is a little older and able to appreciate such an experience.
We snapped a photo of our family as we exited. They were able to finish the tour :)
If you're ever in our area checking out the USS Iowa is a MUST!
It's been awhile since I've seen this flag! Makes me smile, knowing it's flying right here in Southern California!

No comments:

Post a Comment