4.19.2012

Lemon Bars

My neighbors rock. Have I mentioned that before? If not, I certainly should have long ago.

A few days ago my neighbor brought me a grocery bag chuck full of fresh lemons from one of her family members lemon tree.

Now, what to do with all these lemons??? (Be fully prepared for SEVERAL lemon-y recipes in the very near future:)

I scoured for some enticing lemony treats and came up with a few...

As I've mentioned in several posts, I'm not much of a baker. With so many fabulous lemon-y treats out there I figured I've flex my very elementary baking muscles.

These bars were simple. To say the least. But, hey, gotta start somewhere, right? And, a general consensus between Grandma D (she's visiting again:), a friend of mine, and me (Scott isn't a lemon fan, therefore his vote doesn't count) these were pretty much yummy.

Lemon Bars 
Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix together with a pastry blender until it resembles small crumbs. Press into a 9x9 pan.
Bake for 15 minutes.

Topping:
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp lemon juice (I used 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon zest
1 cup sugar
Mix all ingredients together and pour over the baked crust.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remove bars from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar and any remaining zest.
Note: If using a dark pan lower the heat and reduce the baking time.
Easy peas-y, lemon squeeze-y.
Make these. They're too easy NOT to!

Source: Slightly adapted from Make It From Scratch

No comments:

Post a Comment