5.02.2013

Chicken Pot Pie


Lately we've run into a dinnertime rut. I've been making the same thing over and over. While I love our staple meals I've had it with the monotony.

Marie Calendar's is big out here. There is one in every neighborhood. In fact, there is one just up the street from us. Their chicken pot pies are freaking amazing. Anytime we eat there I indulge and get their infamous chicken pot pie.

When I saw Sheree's post for this chicken pot pie over at The Hartungs, and found Marie Calendar pie crusts at the grocery store I could not pass up the opportunity to make my own pot pie at home  (and of course compare my pie to Marie's).

I have to tell you, this chicken pot pie did not disappoint! Scott commented, TWICE, on how good this was.

And, here's a neat little secret. It's so much easier to make than I could have ever hoped. Hallelujah!

This is already on the menu for this week. Perhaps I've found a new addition to the go-to rotation.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
2 1/2 cups frozen veggies of your choice (I went with peas, carrot, corn, beans)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup onions, chopped finely
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup skim milk
2 unbaked pie crusts (found in the freeze section at your grocery store)

Preheat oven to 425.
Combine chicken and frozen vegetables into a large sauce pan, add enough water to cover. Boil for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain, set aside.
In a medium sauce pan, cook onions on medium in butter on medium high heat, until onions are soft. Add flour, salt, and pepper.
Slowly add chicken broth and milk to the sauce pan, simmer on medium-low heat until thick.
Place one of the pie crusts in a pie dish (I simply left my pie crust in the provided tin).
Pour chicken/vegetable mixture into the bottom of the pie crust.
Pour thickened onion mixture over the chicken and vegetables, top with second pie crust.
Using a fork press together the edges of the crust to create a seal. Liquid may seep out a little, and that is no problem.
Tip: Before baking the pot pie you may want to line your baking rack with aluminum foil. My top pie crust crumbled a bit. Had I lined the rack I would have saved myself a ton of clean up. 
Bake pot pie for 30-35 minutes. If you like your crust dark golden brown you may want to leave the pot pie in for a bit longer.

The pot pie is great right out of the oven (let it cool some so you don't burn your mouth!) but I almost think it's better as left overs the next day.

Go grab some pie crusts and make this easy pot pie tonight!

Enjoy!

Source: The Hartungs

6 comments:

  1. i have been looking for a good recipe for CPP forever! this is perfect, well, minus the onion! ;) I think I will try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely trying this. I LOVE some chicken pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO going to make this! Thanks for the recipe. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken pot pie! I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I probably shouldn't have clicked on this list. Chicken pot pie is my weakness lol. That looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum!!! tonight is a rainy colder night - i wish i was eating this!!!

    ReplyDelete