8.02.2011

29 Minutes to Make Lasagna

Wow, I sure have been posting a lot about food lately. I am a true Dudding :)

But, whatever. If I find a good recipe I want to share it! And, I do believe I found a keeper.

This bad boy is prepped and prepared in under a half an hour! Here's another perk - this lasagna doesn't require the oven. Nope. Not one minute is spent baking in the oven.


Here you go....


Skillet Lasagna
1 jar (24 oz) marinara sauce of your choice *
3 cups of water*
8 oz lasagna noodles
1 lb bulk hot Italian turkey sausage or sausage links (casings removed)**
2 garlic cloves pressed
2 oz fresh grated Parmesan cheese***
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley divided****
1 cup fresh whole milk ricotta cheese (about 8 oz)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Additional grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
* I used a non-chunky sauce, and I believe the three cups of water may have been a bit too much. Next time, should I use the non-chunky sauce, I'll reduce the water to 2 cups.
** I'm a big baby when it comes to spicy food, so I didn't use any hot or spicy sausage. I used Italian seasoned ground turkey, and it tasted great.
***  To cut even more time off the prep, I just used the Parmesan out of a container
**** I didn't chop up fresh parsley, I just used what I had in my spice rack - which also cut prep time

1. Combine sauce and water in a large (12 inch) skillet. Cover; bring to a boil.

2 Meanwhile, wrap noodles in clean kitchen towel and break crosswise into quarters*. Stir noodles into sauce. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 16-18 minutes or cook until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.

3.  As noodles cook, place sausage into a smaller (10 inches) skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add pressed garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir into noodles and sausage.
4. Meanwhile, grate Parmesan cheese (or use the pre-shredded stuff, like me:). Chop parsley (or use what you have in your spice rack); set aside 1 Tbsp parsley for garnish. Combine cheese, remaining parsley and black pepper into a mixing bowl.
5. Scoop the cheese mixture over the noodles using a small or medium ice cream scoop. Cover skillet and simmer gently 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and ricotta mixture is heated through.
6. To serve, sprinkle lasagna with reserved parsley and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Yields 6 servings.

*Breaking the lasagna noodles in a clean kitchen towel it prevents the noodles from flying all over the kitchen, and prevents you from chasing the flying noodles all over your kitchen to clean up.
Side note: The recipe stated the dish would take 29 minutes to make. I timed how long it took, from prep to plate. Twenty-seven minutes, boooyahh! I think skipping the fresh shredded Parmesan and fresh chopped parsley shaved those two precious minutes off. 

It was great the night it was served, and possibly even better the next day as left-overs!

Enjoy.


Source: 29 Minutes to Dinner/The Pampered Chef

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I think I'm going to have to try it this week ~ 29 minutes is awesome. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it ~ and it was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! It's a keeper in our recipe collection!!

    ReplyDelete