8.13.2011

Strawberry Cake

Lately I've been flexing my cooking and baking muscles. I mean, I have the free time, why not do a little experimenting in the kitchen?!

Flipping through a family recipe cookbook I came across a strawberry cake my aunt had contributed. Strawberries are in season right now, so I figured no better time than now to try it out! And, the best part, it's EASY!

Strawberry Cake
1 package white cake mix
1 package strawberry jello mix
1/2 cup corn/vegetable oil
1/2 cup frozen strawberries, thawed and drained *
1/2 cup water or juice from strawberries **
4 eggs

*I sliced fresh strawberries and froze them, and then let them thaw.
** I used the juice from the thawed strawberries - I didn't have enough juice to make 1/2 cup, so I filled the rest with water.

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients together, except for the eggs, with an electric mixer.
Beat 4 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating one minute for each egg.
Beat an additional minute, after all eggs have been added.
Pour in a greased 9x13 pan.
Bake for 35-45 minutes.
Cool.
Upper right: Dry ingredients
Lower right: strawberries, juice/water mix, and vegetable oil added to dry ingredients
Left: Al ingredients beaten together
Upper photo: Cake batter, pre-bake time
Lower photo: Cake, post bake time
Frosting
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup strawberries *
1 pound powdered sugar

*I used fresh strawberries, but I'm sure frozen strawberries, thawed, would work just as well.
Beat fronting ingredients together. Spread on cake.
Frosting being whipped together
The finished product!

The frosting was a little runnier than I was hoping. I think it's because I used a butter substitute, rather than real butter. Next time I'll use real butter, or maybe cream cheese.  Aside from the runny frosting it turned out quite tasty!!

1 comment:

  1. This makes my mouth water just looking at the scrumptious pictures! Too bad I'm trying to lose these last few baby weight pounds and am not allowing myself to have sweets in the house!

    ReplyDelete