7.11.2011

Easy Honey Chicken

A New Year's resolution of mine was to try a different recipe each week. That lasted all of about six weeks. Honestly, I'm surprised I lasted that long. But, in my six week journey of adventuring outside Scott and my food-comfort-zone I stumbled across a cookbook my mom had given me awhile back.

All the ladies on my mom's side of the family contributed her favorite recipe(s) to a family collection of delicious food. I decided to try out a few, and fell in love with a couple.

Easy Honey Chicken has become a weekly dish in our house. It's a great summer-time food, as the honey makes me want to sit on our patio, sip a cool summer beverage and watch the sun lazily sink beyond the horizon. It is also a fabulous winter food, as the title alone seems to imply "comfort food!"

The Recipe
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I use Smart Balance Light)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (I like to grind my pepper)
2 tsp Paprika (I'm very liberal with the Paprika)
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breast

The Sauce
1/4 cup melted butter (again, I use Smart Balance Light, and I usually measure a little shy of 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice (if you're ambitious, fresh squeezed is best)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt the 1/2 cup of butter in a baking pan in the oven; remove the pan from the oven.
In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and Paprika; dip the chicken into the flour mixture.
Add the chicken pieces to the pan, coat completely with the butter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, skin side up, in a single layer.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients.
After 25-30 minutes of baking cover the chicken with the sauce.
Continue baking for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is fork-tender.
Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
The Honey Chicken pairs well with wild or brown rice, and steamed veggies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment