4.26.2013

Easiest.Cheese Danish.Ever.

We often associated food with good memories. Cheese Danishes rally up some great memories of when I was very young. As a weekend treat my mom and I would meet up for breakfast with one of the sweetest ladies I'd ever met, Opal. She went to our church, baby-sat me on occasions, and was very much like a grandmother.

When meeting up with Opal we didn't go any place fancy. Our weekly breakfast date was McDonald's. Every four-year old's dream. 

The aroma of hash browns and McMuffins was intoxicating. But, it was the display case that always showcased the raspberry, blueberry, and cheese Danishes that drew me in. Though the raspberry and blueberry Danishes were good I went for the cheese Danishes every time. 

Sweet and sticky, moist yet flaky, and the little slightest bit of tang in the cream cheese was just too good. I can't remember the last time I had a Danish... (Does McDonald's even offer Danishes anymore?)

When Erin posted a recipe on the Easiest Cheese Danishes Ever I was intrigued. I didn't make them right away. In fact, I went back to her post several times, looking at the ingredients, looking at the simple instructions. Finally I couldn't take it any longer. 

The first bite immediately took me back to all those great breakfasts with Opal. 

Easy Cheese Danish

1 can refrigerated crescent rolls 
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp non-fat Vanilla Greek yogurt (sour cream or plain Greek yogurt also works)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon juice

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Remove crescent rolls from packaging. DO NOT unroll the crescent rolls. Leave them tightly rolled up.
Slice the roll of crescents into 1/2 inch slices.
Use your fingers to press an indention into the dough. The indention will hold the filling.
To make filling: combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and Greek Yogurt with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of filling into each crescent roll.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
While crescents are cooking, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Add more sugar or more milk to reach desired consistency. Glaze should be runny, but still thick. Pour glaze over the top of each Danish.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days (like you'll need to, you'll eat them WAAAY before three days is up.
I had no idea there were two different sizes of crescent rolls. I accidentally grabbed the "large" crescent rolls, but was very pleased with the outcome. In fact, I don't think the "regular" size crescent rolls would have turned out as well.

Even though the dough is from the go-to crescent rolls you won't care. You really won't.
These are easy, good, and dare I say better than those from McDonald's.

Enjoy!






 Source: Lemon Sugar

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes I love-hate your recipes. Love looking at them but hate that we're counting calories and I can't make them! :( Boooo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make these too!! I usually do half with cream cheese, half with cream cheese and peach pie filling! YUM. The regular sized crescent rolls make them sort of "mini" and they are sort of fun to eat. Like ten. Or like the whole pan :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Maybe I will have to try these for the hubs and baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I can't wait to try this! (my hips are expanding just thinking about these!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I agree about fond feelings of cheese danishes and childhood! These look amazing, please bring them to my house right now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look awesome. I have never made danishes before. Will definitely have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum!! i wish you could pass me one of those right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I'm sold. I love cheese danishes! I am absolutely going to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing. My belly is completely growling since I'm staying away from sugar for the week. My body does not like it.

    ReplyDelete