6.21.2012

Super Easy Chicken Manicotti

Things around here have been busy. With what, exactly, I couldn't tell you. Apparently this is all par for the course of being a parent.

With Father's Day I just couldn't find time to put together freezer meals, like I'd been planning. Instead I managed to give the house a good cleaning (which it desperately needed), and made the hubs Cinnamon Roll Cake, per his request. Being Father's Day I was much obliged.

For the past week or so there has been a reoccurring theme of turkey burgers. Not that I don't like the burgers. Fact is, I LOVE them. Though they're super simple to make, the idea of actually prepping and making dinner in the evening is still a daunting task.

Insert latest freezer meal!

This was probably the easiest meal I've ever assembled. EVER. I made and froze two pans of this stuff. From start to finish it took me about 30 minutes (without bake time). The dish isn't winning any creativity points. I'll probably try to find some ricotta filling to throw in with the chicken. But, for what I needed (a meal, stat!), it was perfect.

Super Easy Chicken Manicotti 
1 - 26 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I used Ragu Heart Healthy Light)
3/4 cup water
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 lb cooked, shredded chicken breast
14 uncooked manicotti shells (8 oz)
2 cups 2% shredded mozzarella

In medium bowl mix pasta sauce and water.
Spread about 1/3 sauce in bottom of 9x13 dish.
Sprinkle garlic salt and Italian seasoning over cooked, shredded chicken.
Stuff shells with chicken.
Place shells on pasta sauce.
Pour remaining sauce evenly over shells, covering completely.
Cover with foil.

To bake:
Thaw.
Preheat oven to 350.
Leave foil on pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until shells are tender.
Sprinkle with cheese, leave uncovered and bake for additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
If you plan to prep and make this on the same day, do not cook your chicken. Rather, cut the breast into strips (or use chicken breast tenders, found at your local grocer), and continue along with the recipe.
What's better than a super easy meal? Nutrition info that isn't going to scare the bejeezus out of you.
For three stuffed shells:
Calories - 396 (keep in mind, I used a light pasta sauce)
Total fat - 4.5 grams
Carbs - 48 grams
Fiber - 4 grams
Protein - 31 grams
Source: Slight adaptations from Betty Crocker

No comments:

Post a Comment