6.12.2012

The Pacifier Clip

Like many babies, Chunky Monkey enjoys his pacifier. He also seems to enjoy spitting his pacifier out. Because of this, we snagged a few pacifier clips. Chunky Monkey can spit out his pacifier, and Mommy and Daddy don't have to go scrambling to find the thing, or worse yet, lose it all together (no bueno when we're out and about and pacifier-less).
One of our pacifier clips is a real bugger to open and close. I'm talking, use-all-of-your-muscles-tear-some-skin-from-your-finger tough. Said clip is pictured above. To get the clip opened or closed is challenging, but once attached to Chunky Monkey's shirt it becomes a permanent fixture. When that puppy snaps shut it's ON.
See those nasty little teeth on the clip? This mommy thought she'd gotten Chunky Monkey's shirt pulled far enough away from his skin prior to clipping (do you see where this is headed??). Not so much. The clip snapped shut and my little man's eyes flew wide open, tears IMMEDIATELY formed, and he let out the most heart-wrenching cry/scream (even worse than when he had his vaccination shots)

My stomach instantly flew into my throat. I couldn't believe I'd just inflicted so much pain on my precious little boy. :(
A little red welt quickly formed. 
My monkey and I spent a good portion of the afternoon snuggling after the clipping.

I'm having a tough time getting over the incident. Words cannot express how terrible I felt/feel. Lucky for me, Chunky Monkey was quick to forgive and forget...
Later that day my big guy was flashing me all sorts of smiles.
Most days I think I'm doing a pretty good job at being a mommy. However, on this particular day Chunky Monkey probably wouldn't have nominated me for Mommy of the Year. 


5 comments:

  1. Ha! Did you read my burn story? Things happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read your burn story. I thought of you right away when this happened.

      Delete
  2. I have a girlfriend who got a little close with the fingernail clippers once and didnt' even tell anyone till a year later when she calmed down about thinking she was a bad mother....those things happen to the best mommies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I think most of us mommies could all muster up a story like this one to tell - that is - if we had the courage to actually admit it. I clipped Hayden's fingernail much too short once myself - it was awful. Hayden got over it MUCH faster than I ever did! I don't think I'll ever forget it. But, we learn from things like this - after all - we are new at this too - and thankfully - the little ones we are put here on Earth to take care of forgive rather quickly. :) Cut yourself some slack - you are doing a great job!
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Desiree! I know that heart-wrenching feeling...even though you know it was a complete accident, it doesn't make Mommy feel any better about it! I once got Drake's neck clipped in the top snap of his car seat....I am pretty sure I cried harder than he did!! :)

    Keep being the great Mommy you are - that little dude thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread, even when you don't feel like you're deserving of it!

    Take care!
    Danie

    ReplyDelete