10.16.2012

Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Quinoa: pronounced keen-wah. The only reason I know this is because I may have indulged in a terrible TV show on Bravo - ever seen Million Dollar Listing, Los Angeles? No? You're not missing much, but without the show I'd still be pronouncing it kin-OH-uh, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of 30 minutes of my life. I digress...

On my search for this seed it took me 30 minutes of hunting, and two grocery associates to find the ONE box in the store. I thought this stuff was all the rage?! One stinkin' box. Might have to try another store next time. And, according to one of the employees, quinoa is making appearances all over fitness magazines. I told him I was working on getting "swoll." Again, the digression...

I was pretty much petrified of this stuff. It looks kind of funny, it sounds weird (see above), and I was totally certain Scott wouldn't try the stuff to save himself.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. (Except for the pronunciation.)

As I made this I was anxious. Scott was going to hate it. I was going to hate it. I was going to have five beautiful peppers that would have to be tossed.

Whelp, I didn't tell Scott what it was until he'd cleaned his plate, and proceeded to help me clear my plate as well. This stuff is GOOD! There are several other recipes that are now in the "must make" list, and expect to see more quinoa from me.

Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
1 lb ground white turkey meat
4-5 green peppers, seeds and flesh removed
1 cup rinsed quinoa (apparently if you don't rinse the stuff there is a bitter taste)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup marinara sauce (I dumped a whole jar of my fav:)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 large white onion, diced
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
Fresh mozzarella
Preheat oven to 400.
In a large skillet bring chicken broth to a boil.
Add quinoa to boiling broth.
Stir quinoa continuously until all the liquid is absorbed.
In a sperate skillet brown turkey and onion.
Add Italian seasoning and garlic to onion/turkey mix and saute for approximately 2 minutes.
Add meat mixture to quinoa, add marinara sauce and mix well - there's your filling.
Spoon filling into peppers.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove peppers and top with fresh mozzarella.
Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Delicious, and healthy!
Go grab yourself some quinoa and jump on this super food train.

Source: Never Trust a Skinny Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment