7.27.2012

Truffle Filled Cupcakes

The little monkey turned four months old this week. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than to make him some delish cupcakes.

While we were in Iowa a few weeks ago my mom made these for Marcus' baptism and I promptly fell in love. I've been looking for an excuse to make these. A four month birthday seemed fitting. Right?
The batch is a big 'un. Think along the lines of handing some off to your neighbors (which I did), send some to work with your husband (which I did), but don't forget to hold a few back for yourself (which I did).

According to Scott, one co-worker stated these were the best cupcakes he'd ever eaten. One neighbor shot me a text saying how "YUMMY" they were. Still waiting on the verdict from another neighbor. However, as she was closing her door I heard her 6-year old son say that he really liked the frosting.
This recipe is a compilation of a couple different recipes. And, naturally I had to add my own little tweaks and twirks here and there. The next time I make this I plan to use the Vanilla Bean Cupcakes or  French Vanilla Cupcakes, whipped up by Erin over at Lemon Sugar (if you still haven't checked her out you have no idea what you're missing)!

Truffle Filled Cupcakes
CUPCAKES
1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil, or canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
*1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
4 large egg whites
Approximately 36 truffles (I wasn't about to pay $7 for a pack of 9 truffles. I grabbed a couple bags of Rolos and replaced the truffles with two Rolos per cupcake. It was a glorious decision; my mom used a box of Russell Stover chocolates in lieu of truffles, also a great alternative.)

Preheat oven to 325.
Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans. I needed about 40 liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt.
Add remaining ingredients and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
Use an ice cream scoop (GENIUS!) to fill prepared cupcake tins - the scoop fills the cupcake liners about 3/4 full, which is perfect.
Bake 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of the cupcake comes out clean.
As soon as you take the cupcakes out of the oven, use a kitchen scissors to cut an "x" about 1/2 way into each cupcake.

Place your truffle (or in my case, Rolo) in each "x." The warm cupcake will cause the truffle to melt into the cupcake (see photo below).
Cool cupcakes on a cooling rack.

Left photo: Creating the "x."
Right photo: The stuffed cupcake.






*The original recipe called for sour cream. I knew Greek yogurt would be a fabulous healthier substitute. I was spot on!
FROSTING
6 oz white chocolate, for baking, chopped
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), softened
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Stir every 30 seconds.
Let the chocolate stand for about 3 minutes, or until slightly cooled.
In a clean stainless steel mixing bowl, combine melted chocolate, cream cheese, butter and vanilla.
Beat on medium speed until well blended.
Slowly add powdered sugar; beat well.

* I tired to substitute Greek yogurt for the cream cheese. In this instance it was a flop. The frosting came out much too runny. In the end I had to make a second batch of frosting using 1/3 less fat cream cheese. 
These little gems would be fabulous at a bridal or baby shower (I'm picturing truffles filled with pink or blue - how fun would it be to announce the baby's gender that way?!). Or, if you're like me, you'll use your infant turning four months as a perfectly good reason to whip these up.

ENJOY!!

Source: Cupcakes - Adaptations from Recipe Girl and Pampered Chef
Frosting - Pampered Chef

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I've seen those truffle filled cupcakes... I love "filled" things. I recently acquired a box of thin mints... I plan on stuffing something with thin mints soon.

    ReplyDelete