5.17.2012

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili - A Freezer Meal

White Chicken "Chili" may not be the best way to describe this soup, which was one of my 10 freezer meals. If it were up to me I would have named it something along the lines of "Chicken and White Bean Soup." That's not to say the soup wasn't good. It was. It's just the name was a bit off. I was expecting something more chili-ish, but my end result was reminiscent of chicken noodle soup (which, thankfully, I happen to be a huge fan).

No matter the name the soup it was good stuff. I'll make it again and I'll slap my label on it rather than the one it originally had.

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili (aka Chicken and White Bean Soup)
3 chicken breast, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp ground cumin (up the amount on this, I couldn't taste it at all)
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 - 16 oz cans Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white corn, drained
3 Tbsp lime juice
1 gallon freezer bag
1 sandwich freezer bag
1 crock pot liner

Prep:
In a large mixing bowl combine onion, garlic, broth, cumin, oregano, and salt.
Place chicken in freezer bag, add broth mix in with the chicken. Seal and freeze.
In the sandwich freezer bag place the lime juice.
Seal and freeze with chicken and broth mix.
Meal prep:
Place chicken and broth mix in crock pot.
Rather than dealing with thawing it, I just dumped everything into the crock pot in it's frozen state and let the crock pot thaw and cook it - two bird, one stone.
Cook on low for 7 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
Remove chicken from crock pot and shred. If your chicken is tender enough you can shred it right there in the crock pot.
Return chicken to crock pot.
Stir in beans, corn, and lime juice.
Cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes, or until the bean and corn and hot.

Be sure to keep your beans and corn on hand. You don't want to make an emergency trip to the grocery store!
It makes a lot. It tastes good. It just needs to be renamed. :)
Enjoy!

Source: Betty Crocker

1 comment:

  1. this looks wonderful...thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends friday and I am going to share this recipe on my facebook page to promote the party.

    ReplyDelete