5.02.2012

Lemon Yogurt Cake

Crisp, fresh air. Bright, sunny days. Flower and trees are blooming. There can't be anything better than a slice of lemon yogurt cake to compliment all that Spring has to offer.

As mentioned in the Lemon Bar post I have a ton of lemons that I need to use up, and I'm diligently working on that - not that it's much of a chore.

Before I go on, I have to throw a bit of disclaimer. This cake is good, but the texture is different than any cake I've ever had. It's not your typical cake. It's not your sponge cake, or pound cake, it's kind of in between the two. At any rate, it's good. Oh, and did I mention it's low fat?

Lemon Yogurt Cake
Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used low-fat vanilla yogurt)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 whole large egg, 3 large egg whites
2 tsp grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Cake:
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour an 8.5x4.25x2.5 loaf pan. Line bottom with parchement paper.
In a large bowl combine flour (scoop and level), baking powder, and salt; whisk until combined.
In a seperate large bowl, mix yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and slowly whisk together.
Fold the vegetable oil into the batter until it's all incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick is placed in the center of the loaf and comes out clean.
When the cake is done allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Glaze:
Combine powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice.
If glaze is too thick continue adding 1 Tbsp of lemon juice until the mixture is runny enough to pour.
Carefully place cake on baking rack or a sheet of parchment paper.
While the cake is still warm (not hot) pour the glaze over, allowing the glaze to drip down the sides.

As I was prepping everything I was searching about our kitchen for a loaf pan... Fail. I SWEAR we had two loaf pans at one point. Where those pans are now is a mystery... I had to settle with the next best thing, which wasn't at all like a loaf pan. The cake still turned out tasty and disappeared quickly.

Source: The Craving Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment