9.14.2012

Zucchini Bread

Apparently if you have your own garden, and grow your own zucchini you have about a gazillion of these little guys pouring out of every nook and cranny you can stuff them in. I don't have the luxury of a garden. Shoot, I don't have the luxury of a backyard. And, let's face it, if I did have a garden I'm pretty sure it wouldn't yield much but dandelions and those weeds that are fun to blow on and watch the little seeds float in every which direction. So, what do I do when I need zucchini? I pay the highway robbery price of $1.25 per pound and purchase the green goodies.

And this is where the real point of my post begins...

I came across this over at The Cookbook Project and promptly put it in my "must bake immediately" file. Not only is it zucchini bread, it's a healthified version. Score!

A slice of this is pure perfection with a cup of coffee in the morning, or a quick snack to keep things moving in the afternoon. And, this would be a great (and sneaky) way to slip some veggies into your kiddos diet.

Zucchini Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3 egg whites
1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (or, double the vanilla, like I do:)
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups uncooked zucchini, peeled, grated, and drained
1/2 cup raisins (I just can't do raisins so I left these out)
Preheat oven to 350.
Coat two loaf pans with cooking spray, set aside.
In a large bowl sift together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a bowl of a stand mixer beat egg white until frothy. Add egg, sugar, vanilla, oil and applesauce and mix well. Add in zucchini.
Add the dry ingredients to mixer and mix well. (Add raisins if you so choose.)
Pour batter into prepared loaf pans (approximately 2 1/2 cups batter per pan).
Bake 50-60 minutes (my oven bakes a little hotter, so it only took me about 45 minutes).
I will be making this again. However, the next time I'll substitute Greek yogurt for the canola oil and see how it turns out.
Now, get go and use up the hundreds of  zucchini that are just sitting around (and know I'm totally jealous of your harvest)!
Nutrition Info
Serving per slice
Calories - 127
Total fat - 2g
Carbs - 23g
Fiber - 1g
Protein - 4g

Enjoy!

Source: Weight Watchers

1 comment: