9.21.2012

Apricot Bread with Orange Honey Spread

A few nights ago I was chatting with my sister-in-law about the banana bread and zucchini bread I made not too long ago. She mentioned neither bread peaked much interest (to each their own, but I think she's totally missing out:). However, she did throw out that there was an apricot bread her grandmother used to make around Christmas. Since the passing of her grandmother the bread hasn't been made, and the recipe lost.

I was on a mission. I wanted to find something that resembled the bread that was described.

Quick P.S. Happy Birthday Susan! Hope you have a great day; this bread is just for you!

Let me tell you, the Pinterest boards are kind of quiet when it comes to Apricot Bread, but I think I've come up with something that is pretty close the bread of my sister-in-law's yesteryears.  When we go home for Christmas I plan to make this for the fam and see  if it gets the nod of approval.
In my humble opinion, I found this bread and spread to be flippin' amazing. The pecans add the perfect crunch, while the apricots extend a nice, sweet, soft pop. And the spread.  Oh, for the love of cream cheese, the spread! Even if you don't make the bread, make this spread. If you're like me you'll taste it and want to do a few laps in it. It. Is. So. Good.

Please make this.

Bread:
1 cup snipped, dried apricots
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup pulp-free orange juice
2 cups + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup crushed pecans

Snip apricots into little bits.
Soak apricots in warm water for 30 minutes.
While apricots are soaking:
In a large mixing bowl cream sugar and butter.
Add egg and beat.
Stir in orange juice and vanilla.
Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
In a small bowl mix crushed pecans and 1 Tbsp flour (this will help prevent pecans from sinking to the bottom of the batter).
Drain apricots well.
Add apricots to batter.
Mix in pecans.
Preheat oven to 350.
Spray loaf pan with non-stick spray.
Bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow bread to cool before topping with spread.

Spread:
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/3 cup orange marmalade
2 Tbsp honey

Beat cream cheese  until smooth and fluffy.
Add marmalade and honey, whisk until well blended.
Store in fridge until ready for use.

Enjoy!!

Bread source: Adaptations from Waking Life
Spread source: Today's Nest

1 comment: