10.12.2011

Angel Food Trifle


Did you know... Angel food cake is FAT FREE? This is no joke, I'm totally serious. Insert latest and greatest recipe to satisfy the sugar cravings!!


If you've been keeping up, you know my sweet tooth has returned. And, this is not a good thing, especially since my stomach seems to be a bottomless pit these days. 

I've been trying to find ways to keep that sweet tooth happy while making a (very feeble) attempt to keep some heath conscious thoughts in the forefront, and  I think I've found a great recipe to keep Baby Macke (me) happy.

Of course it was Mom to the rescue! She sent me a recipe for an angel food trifle that I remember her whipping up while I was in high school. 


Here you go. Throw it together and dig in! Leave the guilty conscious at the door, you won't be needing it (at least not for this post).


ANGEL FOOD TRIFLE


1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
2 cups low fat/fat free vanilla flavored yogurt (you can use any flavor yogurt you want, mixing and matching is the most fun!)
Angel food cake - cut into approximately one inch cubes 
(to free up some time, buy the ready made cake from your grocer; turn the container that the cake came in upside down and use it to store the recipe in, as the container has a lid; when the dessert is gone you can just discard of the container and don't have any dishes!!)
2 cups thawed frozen fruit - if you have fresh fruit available, use that instead
1/4 cups + 2 Tbsp fat free whipped cream (I'm not a fan of whipped cream so I leave it out)


1. Blend together ricotta cheese and yogurt in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Arrange 1/2 the cake cubes in the bottom of the bowl.
3. Top cubes with 1 cup of the fruit.
4. Top the berries with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese-yogurt mixture.
5. Then top with layers of the remaining cake cubes, 3/4 cup berries, and remaining cheese-yogurt mixture.
6. Decorate the top with reaming 1/4 cup berries or fresh fruit.
The dish, in the angel food container, ready to be devoured!!

Yesss, a guilt-free delish dish!
Enjoy!




Nutrition info per serving (serves 8)
Calories 200
Fat 1.5 grams
Sodium 193 mg
Carbs 46 g
Fiber 2 g
Protein 7.5 g
Source: Weight Watchers dessert recipe card obtained during a WW meeting.

1 comment: