Six Month Report

Wow, is it possible it's been six months since my car accident?! So much has happened since November 15.

Let's take a look back at the progress made in the past six months...

My poor Altima.
(November 15, 2010)
I didn't see this coming at all. I was supposed to be traveling 180 degrees from where my car is resting in this photo. 
(November 15, 2010)
We think the airbags are what broke my arm. 
(November 15, 2010)
Both bones in my forearm had been snapped.
(November 15, 2010)
A closer look at the radius and ulna.
(November 15, 2010)
This picture still gives me the heebeegeebees.
(November 15, 2010)
In the ER, roughly four hours after the accident.
(November 15, 2010)
The night after I was released from the ER. I had no idea how awesome I looked - especially my swollen face. The hospital released me without plating, screwing or casting the arm. I could literally feel my bones moving and rubbing against each other. Who knew I'd be so grateful for pain killers.
(November 15, 2010)
FOUR DAYS after my accident the hospital was able to schedule me for surgery. Here are the bones, back where they belong, courtesy of two plates and 12 screws.
(November 19, 2010)

DISCLAIMER: The next photo is totally gross.

It was time to take off the full arm cast, remove the staples, and put on a half-arm cast.
(Roughly four weeks after surgery)
Woohoo! It was time to get the cast off. My right arm was much skinnier and weaker than my left arm. There was lots of physical therapy in my future...
(January 5, 2011)
Ew. My arm was so gross.
(January 5, 2011)

Two days after my cast had been removed I began physical therapy. For four months I saw a therapist, three days a week, for two hours each visit. Therapy may be one of the most difficult, painful things I've ever endured. On April 22, 2011 I had my last physical therapy appointment. 
I'm finally fully functional. However, there are a few things I still have trouble doing (turning a key to lock or unlock a door is the biggie). I'm still not cleared to play volleyball or softball, but in time that will come. 
Exactly six months after the crash/break, here's my arm. All that's left is a scar that is fading with each day.
(May 15, 2011)

From all of this I've learned so much; the biggest being able to ask for help, and realizing that as much as I'd like to be in control of everything, I'm not. 

I thank the Good Lord every day for all that He's given me, especially my amazing husband whose has dealt with all of this, been my rock, and been my biggest cheerleader as I make my way back to "normal."
Notice, in my RIGHT hand, a yummy glass of vino. :)

1 comment:

  1. Those pics still make me cringe. So thankful you both have made it through.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.