10.09.2014

I Need Accountability & A Finish Line

I've started, stopped, and edited this post about 30 times. I'm not quite sure what I want to say, or where I want to go with it. I just know I need to put it out there, if for no one else but for myself - a reminder of sorts…

After the #djv5k race (which was almost an entire month ago!) I allowed myself to get incredibly lazy with my workouts and my running. With no race, so to speak of, and no goal of a finish line, I just kind of went through the motions of running. And, running very few miles, might I add. 
'Short' runs of 5-6 miles suddenly turned into a measly 2-3 miles, and 'long' runs were now merely 4-5 miles. Crossing training, strength training, and weights were all but lost. And, dammit, wouldn't you know it, suddenly my clothes weren't fitting like I wanted, and what I saw in the mirror was something I was none too thrilled about.

I had grown complacent.    
Two weeks ago I (finally!) got my crap together, pulled the trigger, and signed up for a half marathon. This will only be the second one I've run this year. Usually by this late in the year I have no less than three halves under my belt. What.the.hell.Desirée.

I signed up pretty late in the game. Only six weeks out from race day. But, it's exactly the push I need. I'm not too sure what my finish time will be. Shoot, I'm not even sure what my goal will be. But, I'll run that sucker, and I'll finish it, come hell or high water. 
I NEED a finish line to push me, to motivate me, to keep me going. I NEED a finish line to hold me accountable. 

If you have ever thought about giving this whole running thing a go my biggest piece of advice would be to Sign.Up.For.A.Race! Not too many things can motivate you like something you've paid to do. I mean, you wouldn't pay to go see a movie, and then not see the movie, would you? Same thing applies for registering for a run. And seriously, you will be surprised at how much motivation crossing a finish line will give you.

To check out road races near you, click >> here << it's my go-to for races and events.

For those of you who do run on the reg, what do you do to keep yourself motivated between races?

So there, to the future me who is struggling with her workouts and running - GO, NOW! SIGN UP FOR A RUN!

13 comments:

  1. I'm not a runner...far from one...but I admire you!!! You have done amazing this year with all the races you have run. You will rock your 1/2 marathon, I just know it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll rock it for sure! I was just searching for more 5Ks yesterday in the area to keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put my wine as far away from the couch as possible to get my workouts in :) You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I need a finish line too. And an extra hour or two in the day would be nice as well....ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so spot on - I love this post! I gained 5 lbs in the two months after my last half marathon...ugg!! I got lazy with my runs and skipped days here and there. I am still running, but now, since it's usually in the 30s every morning (ugg again!), I am taking a cross training class two days each week to stay motivated. Can't wait to hear how your next half goes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever know that you're my heroooo? But really, you do inspire me. If it weren't for posts like these, I would probably be glued to the couch every night. Although your short runs are actually my long runs, I can understand falling into a slump and how disappointing that feels. You'll get back at it in no time, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree with you more. No race equals no motivation. I am excited to have a bit of a break over Christmas but I plan on maintaining 6 mile long runs once a week so half training won't completely stink come January.

    I am excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried a running group in your area? I know some people like to run and chit chat but I'm not one of those girls, I like to get in the zone. I do have girls I fun with though and often I run with my husband. We are technically running "together" but it is more about accountability.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow 6 weeks..but I know you will do great! Heck when I have a bad stint in running I look at what you are doing and it motivates me. You're amazing!

    Laura @ Mice In the Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having a baby and sticking on a schedule because of said baby has really helped me get back into running. Sadly, he hates going on morning runs with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I never used to need a race to stay motivated but I'm wondering if now I need that goal. I've kinda fallen off track of everything now that our race is done! I might need to look up a race and just go ahead and sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the same way. I need a goal or a finish line to run otherwise I will allow myself to skip a day. I have become lazy with my cross training, and it shows. The fear of the marathon will hopefully rid me of my laziness so I can get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you sign up for a Turkey Trot 5K? I'm doing the Dana Point one (my friend is in charge of it!) but I'm walking, not running. Running's not my thing. I did the Turkey Trot two years ago (last year we went to Northern CA to visit my parents) and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete