10.15.2014

Apple Cinnamon Banana Nut Mini Muffins

I don't want to jinx it, but I think Fall is slowly, slowly, slowly making it's way into our area. The temperatures are finally dipping below 80º. Once the thermostat drops that low I take the opportunity to jump right into the kitchen and get my bake on.

When I was going through my inventory of baking items I noticed an abundance of stockpiled frozen bananas (when bananas start to turn brown I freeze them if I know I'm not immediately going to bake with them). I also saw a collection of apples that needed to be used up.

While piecing together what I had, I also wanted to keep in mind Marcus, his insanely picky palate, and how he'll eat almost anything if you tell him it's a muffin or cupcake.

With all of the aforementioned things combined these mini muffins were born. Because of the use of yogurt and banana they have a bit of a spongy texture, and the apple and banana flavors are complimented really well with the spices.

These didn't last long in our house. After the first bite Marcus was hooked, and each morning Marcus insisted on his muffins for breakfast.

Apple Cinnamon Banana Nut Mini Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total: 35 minutes
Yields approximately 20 mini muffins
Muffins:
1/2 cup packed coarsely grated apple (pick your favorite baking apple, I used Braeburn), leave skin on
1/2 cup super-ripe banana (equals out to about one medium banana)
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp coconut oil (or your favorite healthy oil)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup vanilla and honey Greek yogurt (plain Greek yogurt or milk would also work well)

Streusel topping:
1/4 heaping cup of finely chopped/minced pecans (or walnuts)
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp cold butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or your favorite oil)
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350º
1. Allow cold ingredients (yogurt/milk, eggs) to reach room temperature.
2. Coarsely grate apple (a cheese grate works well), and mash banana.
3. Add both fruits to a skillet, along with coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Stir and sauté on medium heat until tender. Your house will smell divine.
4. Remove fruits and spices mix from stove and allow to cool to room temp.
5. Meanwhile, mince pecans until super fine, and combine nuts with the rest of the streusel ingredients.
6. Mix with a fork or your fingers, and taste as you go to ensure the mixture tastes to your liking.
7. Streusel should be crumbly and buttery.
8. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl; stir well to incorporate.
9. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. Add the cooled sautéed fruit and spices mixture.
10. Using a sifter (I just used a slotted spoon), slowly sift flour into wet mixture, and combine the two. Stir until just combined.
11. Spoon batter heartily into greased mini muffin tins.
12. Top with desired amount of streusel.
13. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center of muffins around the 10 minute mark. If toothpick comes out clean, remove muffins from oven; otherwise, test again every few minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
14. Allow to cool and enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Okay...these sound amazing!!! I will definitely make these. And how do you freeze your bananas? I honestly have never thought of doing that before. I can't even begin to tell you how many bananas we have wasted because they started going bad before we ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Your pictures turned out so pretty. I think I got jipped out of fall. it was about 40 here this morning and felt like 38!!! No wonder I was freezing almost the entire way to the gym. The hubby took over the garage working on my "new" car so that means the Pilot has to go outside. I think I am going to tell him he can wake up and start my car for me at 4:45 or he needs to get me a remote start, ASAP. Anyways.... I still haven't made these, yet but they are on my to do list sometime soon. I have been distracted by to much pumpkin lately :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound soooooo good!!! But all the steps scare me! I need like four step instructions. Seriously. It's pathetic. I am not good at cooking or baking. I'm just not.

    And.....it's pretty much winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound really good. I think the girls would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even know why I bother with Pinterest anymore. I basically find all of my toddler-friendly food items from your blog now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to lose this baby weight with all your delicious looking recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love muffins. Making these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are legit. Like I have a couple go to muffin recipes that call for like 6 ingredients, top. You are the Master Chef of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound AMAZING! Were they easy to make? Anything with a special topping kinda scares me...

    ReplyDelete