3.01.2013

Shrimp Creole

Lent is in full swing which means we need to get creative with our Friday meals. No meat, which usually isn't a big deal, but no chicken or turkey... That is a huge deal. Cheese pizzas and grilled cheese only goes so far for so long before Scott and I are bored. 

When Scott suggested Shrimp Creole I was on board. 

You see, Shrimp Creole holds a special place in my heart. It's my family's Christmas Eve meal. It's a tradition that started when my parents were married (in 1978!), and one that I love. When my parents were first married they were trying to decide on what to have for Christmas Eve dinner. My mom took to a cook book she received and landed upon Shrimp Creole. From that Christmas Eve on we have gathered as a family and shared this meal. Many memories have been built around this dish.

To appease Scott's tastes I did kick the heat up a notch. Feel free to scale it down or turn it up. 

Shrimp Creole
Makes 4-6 servings

1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 glove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 - 16 oz can whole tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
A few good dashes of hot pepper sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
12 oz frozen shelled shrimp, thawed and tails pulled off
1/2 cup chopped green pepper

In a large skilled cook onion, celery, garlic, and olive oil till tender but not brown.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and hot pepper sauce.
Simmer, uncovered 45 minutes.
Mix cornstarch with 1 Tbsp cold water; stir into sauce.
Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
Add shrimp and green pepper.
Cover; simmer 5 minutes.
Serve over white rice.
This is the first year I've eaten this on a day other than Christmas Eve. After discovering how easy it was to prepare I will certainly be preparing it more often.

Nutrition Info - for 6 person serving
Calories - 185
Fat - 8g
Carbs - 13.5g
Fiber - 1.5g
Protein - 13.5g

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry. This looks delicious! We love shrimp but we rarely have it because I have no idea how to cook it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blogs D!! Will definitely be trying this out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love shrimp and love spicy so I'll have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I want this!!! I am def gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this would be good with crawdad's....they are my new favorite! You need to get the button to follow by email!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this would be good with crawdad's....they are my new favorite! You need to get the button to follow by email!

    ReplyDelete