1.09.2013

Iced Gingerbread Bundt Cake

I'm a little late to the holiday party, but I figured this could still be made and enjoyed in the colder months. I actually made this before Christmas, but with all the celebrating and traveling I'm just getting around to posting it.

In previous posts I've mentioned my love for Greek yogurt and how diverse the stuff is. You can substitute it for practically anything (oil, butter, sour cream, etc). And, I do just that. If I can, I'll slip some Greek yogurt into a recipe.

When I saw this recipe on the side of my vanilla yogurt container, and I concluded I had every necessary ingredient, it was only right that I went ahead and made it.
YUM! This moist, dense cake is FULL of spices that sing of the holidays and winter months. The icing adds a nice pop of sweetness that compliments those aforementioned spices.

Iced Gingerbread Bundt Cake
1 1/2 cups, plus 3 Tbsp non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup molasses (maple syrup is an excellent substitute)
3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a seperate large bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar. Add molasses and 1 1/2 cup Greek yogurt. Stir in flour mixture and then oil.
Pour batter into greased bundt pan and bake until cake tester comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
Cool, then unmold onto cake plate.
Whisk remaining 3 Tbsp yogurt with powdered sugar and drizzle over cake.
Let stand 15 minutes prior to slicing and serving.

Pair this with a big glass of milk (or eggnog if that strikes your fancy), and settle in next to the fireplace with a big fleece blanket and a good book.
Enjoy!

Source: Chobani

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh boy this looks sooo good! Perfect for bringing to a brunch! Thanks for sharing it =) I'm definitely going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree - this looks so good - wonderful styling on the icing. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks really delicious! smart that you substituted Greek yogurt in it!
    floral&fudge

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and would love if you would link back to us. Remember to come back and vote on Sunday. Newest follower now.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful. Adding this to my "Bundts" pinboard. Making it this weekend!
    Thanks. for sharing.

    ReplyDelete