12.05.2012

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole

Every day Scott and I have the same conversation that goes something like this:
S: "What do you want to do for dinner tonight?" By the way, this usually occurs around 9:00... AM!
Me: "I don't know. What sounds good?"
S: "I don't know. What do you want?"
Me: "Nothing really stands out." Thinking to myself, I just finished breakfast. Dinner is too far away. There are a hundred diapers and two naps between now and dinner.
S: "What's in the house?"
Me: "Not sure. I'll look around and see what I can come up with."

That's pretty much every.single.day. Yesterday was no different. And, I searched the house high and low for something that would be deemed an acceptable meal.
I spotted some frozen hash browns and turkey sausage in the freezer. Those were purchased after eyeballing a crockpot breakfast casserole that sounded too easy, and good, to be true.

*Light bulb moment*

A-ha! Breakfast for dinner. Done and done.

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
1 - 30 oz bag frozen hash browns
12-14 oz breakfast sausage (I went with the turkey variety)
12 eggs
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
6 green onions
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Spray crock pot with non-stick spray. I used a crock pot liner for easier clean up, and just sprayed the liner.
Brown your sausage in a medium skillet.
Slice the green onions.
Place half the hash browns in the bottom of the crock pot.
Top hash browns with half the browned sausage.
Add half the onions and half the cheeses.
Repeat with hash browns, sausage and cheeses.
Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together.
Slowly pour eggs over casserole.
Four hours on high, or 8 hours on low and you're good to go.
Prior to serving sprinkle the remaining green onions on top of the casserole.
This was a great change up in our dinner routine. I loved it, and I'm not generally a breakfast-any-time-of-the-day type person. Scott liked it, but would probably throw a little salsa on his next time.

I'm thinking this would be absolute perfection on Christmas morning!  (Hint, hint Mom!:))
Enjoy!!

Source: Iowa Girl Eats

2 comments:

  1. looks like a quick tasty breakfast thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy, love crock pot meals!

    ReplyDelete