12.07.2012

Candy Cane Blossoms

Confession #1: I don't really understand the hub bub about holiday baking. Maybe it's because I don't really do holiday baking. I just bake when it strikes my fancy (and if I'm feeling really ambitious).
Confession #2: I don't recall ever making sugar cookies in my adult life. *Audible gasp* How is that even possible?!
Confession #3: I may have a serious addiction to the Hershey Candy Cane kisses. It's bad people. I can't stop with just one, or two, or three. Can I just make a bag of those a meal? Maybe not ideal for the waist, but I almost don't care.

Now that I've aired my dirty laundry I thought I'd try to combine all my confessions together to make something fantastical. Something glorious. Something easy.

I made sugar cookies. They look Christmas-y. They have Candy Cane kisses incorporated. They're awesome. And, they're easy.
My guess is these have been made by almost everyone but me. But, hey, I can now say I've got some holiday baking under my belt. I'm also guessing almost any variety of Hershey Kiss would be awesome in the center of a sugar cookie; if you're not a fan of the Candy Cane (I don't get how that's even possible) you could easily switch it up to fit your fancy.

Candy Cane Blossoms
35-48 Hershey's Kisses Candy Cane Mint Candies
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk
Red or green sugar crystals, granulated sugar, or powdered sugar (I went for the red and green sugar crystals, naturally)
Heat oven to 350.
Remove wrappers from candies.
Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy.
Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls. If you have a small ice cream scoop that will work perfectly.
Roll in your choice of sugar.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown and cookies are set.
Remove from the oven; cool 2-3 minutes on cookie sheet.
Press a candy piece in the center of each cookie.
Remove from cookie sheet to a cooling rack.
Cool completely before eating (good luck with that).

Yields between 3-4 dozen cookies.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Bake time: 8-10 minutes
Bring these to your next holiday party. Give them as gifts. Whatever you do, I'm giving you fair warning... They're good, and addicting, and you can't have just one.

Now would someone please take these away from me (left over candies included)?!
Source: Hershey's Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. Stumbled on to your blog....I'm a Cyclone too! Saw your Christmas ornament. Also have a little boy.....almost 6 months :)) New follower :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw peppermint cookies with those delightful kisses in the center....
    Immediately sold. Officially following your cute blog - thanks for stopping by mine! Can't wait to keep up with your life!
    Kaylynn
    colbkayandtrae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuck around Iowa :)) West Des Moines.

    ReplyDelete