8.28.2012

Shrimp Scampi

On a few rare occasions since the little man has been born I've tried to make a few meals that require a lot of time and attention. Quickly, I've realized those meals will be few and far between. At least until the big guy is a little more self sufficient. Until then, I'm always on the search for quick, tasty, and healthy meals.

Introducing the newest dinner staple in our house...
This meal, from start to finish, took me 18 minutes. That's it! The time factor alone has catapulted this into my top 10 meals to make over and over.

Shrimp Scampi
Serves 4
4 portions whole-wheat penne pasta (8 oz uncooked)
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 portions raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 lb)
6 Tbsp Can't Believe It's Not Butter (or other light butter substitute)
6 Tbsp chicken broth (or white wine)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
6 Tbsp reduced-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon, halved
Prepare penne pasta according to package directions.
While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet, over medium heat.
Add shrimp to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until it's almost pink (three-quarters done), about 2 minutes.
Add 2 Tbsp butter substitute and chicken broth to shrimp; saute about 2 more minutes.
Place cooked pasta in a large mixing bowl and combine with remainder of butter and black pepper; mix gently.
Add cooked shrimp to pasts and gently mix it all together.
Divide into 4 portions and serve with a squeeze of lemon, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.

ENJOY!
Nutrition run down:
Calories - 227
Fat - 15g (I'm working on finding a way to cut the fat grams down... If you have any suggestions, by all means, let me know!)
Carbs - 13g
Fiber - 1.5g
Protein - 7g

Source: Bill Phillips, Eating For Life

2 comments:

  1. Where's the fat coming from? The ingredients don't look like there's much room to cut...they are all pretty low fat. This made my mouth water by the way...yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I think it's the butter substitute. I'm still looking for ways to slash that fat number. If I could do that this would be perfect-o!

      Delete