8.03.2012

Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

Odds of me posting something that is made outside of the grill or crock pot are pretty slim these days. Anything that will make my life easier and more convenient is right up my alley.

I found this one over at Never Trust a Skinny Cook. Abby is always clutch when I'm desperate and scrambling for dinner.

The aroma of this while cooking was mouth watering. And, the second Scott and I took a bite we knew this had instantly become a favorite, and will be a dinner staple. I love when things work out so well.

I also ran the nutrition content on these, and I think you'll be pleased to know how healthy these are.

Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas
4 chicken breasts
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 bell peppers, sliced (I used a yellow, orange, and red)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 packet fajita seasoning
lime juice, to taste
tortillas
any other toppings you see fit (i.e. I used a bit of non-fat plain Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream on mine)
Combine sliced onion and peppers in the bottom of the crock pot (don't forget to throw a slow cooker liner in to save you a messy clean up).
Lay chicken on top of the veggies.
Pour chicken broth over top.
Sprinkle everything with your fajita packet.
Add a squirt of lime juice over the top.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours.
When meat is cooked, shred with two forks and combine with onions and peppers.
Use a slotted spoon to serve your meat mixture into your tortillas, and top with any additions you may have.
The only change I'll make next time is reducing the chicken broth from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup. I found we had a bit excess liquid. Other than that, PHENOM dinner in this household!!

Nutrition Info (for meat and veggie mixture, only):
Calories - 260
Fat - 8g
Carbs - 32g
Fiber - 10g
Protein - 24g
The nutrition info for tortillas will vary depending on what you prefer. We used Mission Artisan Soft Style Tortillas, Corn and Whole Wheat Blend, they were awesome! For those particular tortillas here's the nutrition info:
Calories - 100
Fat - 3g
Carbs - 16g
Fiber - 3g
Protein 3g

Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!!
Source: Never Trust a Skinny Cook

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this right now! Thanks for the great looking recipe. One question: what is the serving size that corresponds with the nutritional information you provided above?

    ReplyDelete