12.05.2011

Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

Sundays may be delegated as "Slow Cooker Sundays." My motivation to prepare dinner is generally lacking come Sunday evening, and being budget conscious, going out to eat all weekend just doesn't seem  feasible. To the crock pot we go!

When I found this recipe it reminded me a lot of a cheesy chicken spaghetti bake I've made, and posted about. However, this recipe seemed to require less cook and prep time. Score for me and my lackadaisical Sunday afternoon!

There are a few difference between my non-crock pot recipe and this one, and it looked like it was worth a shot.

Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
Note: For my convenience, I made several changes to the preparation of this dish. If you would like to follow the directions according to the original recipe please click on the source link at the bottom of the page.
1 - 16 oz. package spaghetti (I used whole wheat noodles)
1 - 10.5 oz. can cream of condensed chicken soup (go for the reduced fat kind)
1 - 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup (as we all know by now, Scott hates mushrooms, so I just added an extra can of cream of condensed chicken and omitted the mushroom soup - cream of celery would probably work well, too.)
1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies (also known as rotel; this is the one ingredient that differs from my other cheesy spaghetti recipe - if you're not a fan of rotel, just omit it.)
8 oz. Velveeta cheese (reduce the fat and use the 2% kind)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, thawed and cut into approximately 1 inch cubes (do not cook)
1/2 onion, chopped well (optional; I had some onion that I needed to use up)
3 stalks celery, chopped well (optional; needed to use this up, too)


In your crock pot put cheese, cream of chicken/mushroom soups, onion and celery, and rotel.
Set crock pot to high, and occasionally stir ingredients until cheese has melted - about 30 minutes.
Set crock pot to low; stir in cubes of chicken.
Let chicken and cheese mix cook on low for about 4 hours.
The cheese mixture may appear a bit runny. No worries, once the noodles are added that problem will fix itself. 
About 60 minutes before serving, turn crock pot heat to high, break spaghetti noodles in half, add uncooked spaghetti. Be sure spaghetti is submerged below chicken/cheese mixture.
To ensure noodles don't clump together, stir occasionally.
Stir well before serving.

Taa-daa! Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti.

This was some good stuff, and tasted a LOT like my other spaghetti bake. My next go around I may use different noodles. Perhaps bow ties or rigatoni, something that isn't as prone to stick together like spaghetti.

Enjoy.


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment