12.15.2011

Reindeer Droppings

Per her request, this is for my cousin, Laura. Being that we're both pregnant, this recipe seems like it might satisfy any sweet cravings we may have. Let's get real people, I'm just craving food. In general. All the time.

This recipe appeared easy enough. Only three ingredients, nice. And, for the most part it was a success. Read on and I'll explain what went wrong, and the solution I've decided upon.

Reindeer Droppings (The original name is Snowman P@@p, but the "P" word makes me gag. Seriously. And, without the white coat of melted white chocolate chips there was no resemblance of snowmen.)

1 package Oreos (found some reduced fat Oreos; that's about as skinny as this recipe gets; Instead of using the whole package of Oreos I found I only needed about 2 1/2 rows)
--Side note: I double dog dare you to NOT eat any of the Oreos before you smash them up.
1 package cream cheese (attempting to cut more calories here, use 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
1 package white chocolate chips (forego the issue I had and just grab some almond bark)

Allow cream cheese to soften.
Crush Oreos.
Combine Oreos and cream cheese.
Roll Oreo/cream cheese combo into balls, about the size of a half dollar.
Double boil white chocolate chips almond bark. *
Dip Oreo/cream cheese balls into melted white chocolate almond bark, completely cover.
Place covered balls on wax, or parchment, paper and allow to cool.

*If you don't have a double boiler, simply fill a large pot about 1/2 to 1/3 with water. Take a smaller pot that will rest nicely in/upon the larger pot add the white chocolate chips almond bark.

So, the white chocolate was melty enough for about 10 minutes. That was enough time to get about three Oreo/cream cheese balls covered. Then, the white chocolate started to lose its melty-ness.
They started out just like I had hoped.
Annnnnd, fail.

I wasn't about to let all this deliciousness go to waste. I took the Oreo/cream cheese balls and added them to the white chocolate and mixed it all together. After cooling a bit, I had a second go-around with making nice little bite sized bits. I placed them on parchment paper and froze them (refer to top photo for visual).

After the balls hardened I had to taste test. I found these little bites to be rich and scrumptious. The real test was with Scott. When he came home he tried one and gave the thumbs up. Even in my semi-failed attempt it sounds like I'll be making these again.

What I'll do differently next time... Instead of using white chocolate chips I'll double boil almond bark to coat the Oreo balls. I've worked with almond bark before, and it seems to melt, and stay melty, much better than the white chocolate chips. To my defense, I looked for almond bark in the grocery store, but to no avail (I had a sneaky suspicion my white chocolate chip attempt would fail). I'll look harder next time!

With all that being said, these little Oreo bites were still delicious. And dangerous. And delicious.

Source: I didn't really have a source. I just kind of threw this one together... Which is obvious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment