This chili is a favorite of mine for a few reasons.
1) Scott likes his chili practically dry. This chili doesn't have a ton of liquid, and Scott is able to essentially strain what little liquid there is.
2) I *do* like my chili a little on the runny side, so this is the perfect compromise for both of us.
3) It's made in the crock pot. So. Easy.
May it be noted, I don't eat beef, but this recipe could easily switch out the turkey for beef, and the beer (or chicken broth) with beef broth.
Now, without further adieu, my rendition of Slow Cooker Crock Pot chili, adapted from Allie at Gimme Some Oven.
Hearty Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
A hearty chili perfect for cool evenings, tailgates, or large gatherings with friends.
- 2 pounds Ground Turkey
- 1 medium Yellow onion, diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans, rinsed Dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can, rinsed Light red kidney beans
- 1 (30 oz) can Tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz can) Petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can Chopped green chilies
- 1 cup Beer (or chicken broth)
- 2 Tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown turkey and onions until turkey is no longer pink. Drain fat from turkey. Add meat and onions to slow cooker. Add all other ingredients to slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Approximately 8-10