1.24.2018

A Mammoth Weekend

A few years ago we visited Mammoth (Julia wasn't even a sparkle in our eyes), we hiked several trails, fell in love with the place, and decided we needed to return when there was snow on the mountain.

This year for Christmas (I realize it's January 24, bare with me), I requested that rather than Scott and I give gifts to each other we go somewhere instead. And that's precisely what we did. Christmas morning Scott surprised me with a weekend retreat to Mammoth. To enhance the already stellar surprise, Scott was able to get his parents and my mom to join in our fun.
To my delight, we immediately found a gorgeous mural to stave my appetite for pretty walls.
We then set to work, soaking up every mountain moment.

Marcus and I started with ski lessons. Full admission, I've never skied a day in my life prior to this trip, but it's always been something I've wanted to try. It's safe to say, Marcus was entirely better than me, but we both had a blast.
Let's pretend his eyes are open.
After Marcus' lesson he was fairly spent, so he headed back to the cabin while Scott and I took a couple more runs down the mountain. Bless him for being so patient with my beginner self.
Meanwhile, Julia was totally content to just walk around in the snow, pick up clumps, and toss at anyone within her sight.
No mountain trip is complete without a visit to a tube park. Not to mention, I really wanted Julia to do more than just pick up handfuls of snow.
Marcus, Scott, Grandma Kathy, and I made several trips down the hill.
Julia rode a tube merry-go-round a few times.
But, ultimately, Julia's greatest joy was just waddling around in the snow and attempting to slide down a mound of packed snow.
There was a gondola ride to the top of Mammoth, to which Marcus kept proclaiming, "This is SO cool!"
And more infatuation with the powdery white stuff.
Each evening Scott would start a fire in the fireplace (something we don't have in our home), and both kids would be put into a trance by the flickering flames and welcomed heat.
While the snow was great, the skiing was amazing, the tubing fun, the part of the trip that I hope sticks in the kids memory the most is what became our evening routine...
Everyone gathered around the table, playing games, telling stories, laughing, and joking.

During our trip, I had every intention of taking better photos with my big camera (I actually brought it along!), I didn't pick it up once. So, while the photos aren't the best, dang, those memories made sure are priceless.

In all... Best. Christmas. Gift. Ever.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great Christmas gift! I think I'll tell Sean that we should forego gifts for each other next year and instead make it a gift to travel somewhere!

    Looks like everyone had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like so much fun. I want to take my kids tubing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST GIFT AND SURPRISE EVER!!! I am so, so happy you guys got to get away for the weekend AND the grandparents got to come too! Scott did good.
    I've also never skied a day in my life, yet I have been to the snow in Tahoe when I was little. My brother and I had the BEST time and I still remember those memories. I've been wanting to go to Mammoth at some point and you may have just convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would be pretty terrible at skiing, but the tubing looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete