10.03.2017

Wall Crawl {{Kauai}}

I'm pretty much behind on life these days. I have two wall crawl posts just sitting in my drafts from our Midwest tour... THIS SUMMER. For whatever reason, I can't get it together to get those posted. Maybe it's because I know I can always go back and visit them? Or that I know pretty well the location of each?

At any rate, I felt compelled to get the walls of Kauai, or at least the ones I found, published sooner than later. Why this one takes precedence? Probably because I'm unsure when we'll ever get back, and nailing down the locations is still relatively fresh in my memory...

Anywho. While on the island, between our days filled with hiking, relaxing, and shave ice eating, I kept my eyes peeled and my head on a swivel for any street art. Lucky for me, there was more than I imagined or expected.
Ahukini Road and Kuhio Highway intersection, Lihue, Kauai
After driving by this colorful mural, of what I can only assume is Kauai's coast, a few times, and just the slightest amount of me begging Scott to stop, we finally did. He was clearly THRILLED.
The building this is painted on is a souvenir store, but nothing inside was worthy of writing home about. Their exterior was 100 times better than what was on the interior.
And, did I move an entire rack of clothes for this shot? Maaaaaaaybe....
Kuhio Highway, between Pouli Road and Hoi Road, Kapaa, Kauai 
These two marine animals are part of one massive mural.
This was one of the first murals to find, and it was impossible to miss. I'm pretty sure Scott was mortified to be taking these pics, as this wall is right on the highway, which is b.u.s.y.
Kuhio Highway, between Pouli Road and Hoi Road, Kapaa, Kauai 
This one was tucked in a little strip mall, and I could only see the side of it from the highway. After a few missed attempts we finally figured out how to get to it. The scale of the thing blew me away.
Java Kai: 4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa, Kauai
This was the most pleasant, unexpected find.
Scott suggested grabbing coffee one morning before the adventures we had planned. I'm never one to turn down coffee, so off we went.
When we pulled up - to the back - of the establishment, I was practically jumping out of the car before we were even parked to get up close to these pineapple beauties. The full mural has three pineapples, and they're all vibrant and gorgeous. Had we entered through the front door we'd never have seen this. Bonus points for the most delicious Macadamia Nut Latte of all time.


Literally no idea what I'm doing. All that keeps going through my head is that scene from Talladega Nights where Ricky Bobby is being interviewed and says, "I don't know what to do with my hands." Except that's me, with my entire body...
Ching Young Village Shopping Center: 5-5190 Kuhio Highway, Hanalei, Kauai
One of our excursions, a coastal tour and snorkel session, sent us to the North Shore. We had some time to kill before jumping on the boat, so we putzed around the Ching Young Village Shopping center to kill time. To my absolute delight, several of the walls within the center were murals. Cue me not know what to do with myself, and an obviously elated Scott. I was able to convince Scott to get a few of the murals, but there were a couple of others we passed up.
Wishing Well Save Ice: 5-5080 Kuhio Highway, Hanalei, Kauai
After a morning and afternoon out on the water it only seemed right to get (yet another) shave ice. It's what dreams are made of, really. And, when the truck you order the shave ice out of also happens to have this amazing, colorful wall... well, all of my Hawaiian dreams came true.
Java Kai - again - 4-1384 Kuhio Highway, Kapaa, Kauai
Our last night on the island we put on something other than hiking clothes or swim suits and went out to celebrate our birthdays. We happened to be on the island right between Scott's birthday (September 10) and mine (September 16). This was also one of the only times I put on make-up and took my hair out of its ponytail/braid. We had some time to blow before our dinner reservation, so off to grab more delicious Mac Nut Lattes.
The back of Java Kai had the pineapples, but the side/alley had this colorful geometric mural. May it also be noted, I felt a LOT less awkward standing (posing?) when I had something in my hand.
Denim Patch: 4516 Lehua Street, Kapaa, Kauai
We passed this gorgeous fence no less than a half a dozen times. And each time I wanted so badly to stop and take a snap of it. But, it was a business, and one I had no intention of actually stepping foot in to. However, between our coffee stop (above) and waiting for our dinner reservation, I said "screw it" and thought I'd try to sneak a quick photo in.
Newsflash. I'm zero percent sneaky, and the person working the shop saw me, and then waved. After an awkward wave - as I'm sitting here, nonchalantly posing with my coffee - I felt obligated to go in the shop.
Lesson learned. I walked into a swim suit boutique, and walked out with a swim suit I had no idea I needed.
4274 Rice Street, Lihue, Kauai
The last wall to be found was actually the first.
When we first got to Kauai we had quite a bit of time before we could check into our VBRO, and decided to grab lunch. As we were driving around, I mentioned in passing that I was curious if the island had much street art. I knew Oahu had some pretty epic art, but I wasn't aware of any on Kauai. AND THEN WE PULLED UP TO A MURAL IN PROGRESS. Our first minutes on the island and we come to a mural as it was being created. That first day we saw it, it was simply outlines of palm tress. On our way back to the airport to head home we made a stop to see the progress. This was how far it had come. I think this can only mean one thing. We NEED to go back to see the finished product.
Last but not least... The mural seen the first steps off the airplane, as well as the last mural to be seen before boarding to head home. This massive mural is right in the Lihue airport. The lighting isn't great, but the mural sure was.
Props to Scott for entertaining my crazy the entire week, and stopping for random wall pics. I know it's not his idea of awesome, but he's the best for going along with it all. Now, to convince him for another epic trip...

7 comments:

  1. You are the best wall mural finder! I love that Scott plays along, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful murals! I love all the bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Scott, you are husband of the year :)
    I love that you were able to find walls on this trip. I mean... if there's a gal who has it bad for pretty walls, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I had NO CLUE there was so many walls in Kauai! You found some GOOD ones! I might have to keep my eye open when we're there to find some more for you when you go back (you will!).
    Oh and I also had no idea shave ice had ice cream at the bottom, so really you are blowing my mind with all this Kauai goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all so cool! I totally lived vicariously through you and your vacation. And I get not knowing what to do with hands/body- Im super awkward like that 24/7 haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these ones! It looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete