8.09.2017

A Sweet Celebration {Julia's 2nd Birthday Party Weekend}

Julia is very likely our last baby, so for her second birthday I wanted to celebrate her big day for as long as everyone in my family would allow. And that's just what we did.

In May when we first visited the Museum of Ice Cream it was apparent Julia was in her happy place. Loud, booty-shaking music, bright, colorful rooms complete with sweet treats all throughout. Sign. Her. Up. It was then that her Ice Cream Birthday Party theme was born. It was also during that visit that I snagged tickets for a second run through the museum, and just days before her birthday.

We were lucky to have both sets of grandparents as well as Scott join in the Museum of Ice Cream fun.

* * * *

Saturday morning friends and family joined us at our pool to load up on sweets for her Ice Cream Birthday Party.
I went super chill with the decor this year. Just a few banners and a few hanging cones. Set up was easy, clean up even easier.
The party was complete with the finest of toddler food (pizza). We also had and an ice cream bar where guests could top their ice cream bowls with the all the sundae toppings: three different types of sprinkles, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, M & Ms, crushed Oreos, cherries, and whipped cream.
I was slightly shocked to learn most kids just want ice cream doused in sprinkles and chocolate syrup. I was also surprised to learn Julia hated having "Happy Birthday" sung to her. The entire time she had her pout lip out, her head down, and the deepest of furrowed brows.
During the party I failed at taking any real, good photos. Just a few snaps with the phone camera - which means success, as we were all too busy enjoying company and celebrating Julia.

I did manage to get a few photos of the ice cream cone cupcakes that I made. I remember my mom making these for my birthday when I was younger, and I was more than thrilled to share these with Julia this year. I'm hoping another birthday party presents itself for the opportunity to make these (you know, so Julia can actually remember them).
I used this cupcake recipe,
this frosting recipe,
and poured the batter into the cones, used a cone baking rack to keep the cones upright in the oven,
and baked the cupcake cones for 27 minutes at 350ºF.

****

Sunday was spent with family, finishing off all the left over party food, and of course cake and ice cream.

We rounded off the festivities on Monday, Julia's actual birthday with a few photos to mark her day, we logged some pool hours, and once again polished off bowls of ice cream.

Though I know she won't remember the weekend we celebrated her, I know I sure will.
It was fun, it was sweet, and admittedly, slightly exhausting. Kind of like Julia. :)

11 comments:

  1. Such an awesome theme!! I love everything about this. Make the cupcake cones for 4th of July!! Easy treats to carry around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe she is already 2! Do you remember what I said JKM stood for? I still giggle about that from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great theme for a birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that BOTH sets of grandparents were there! And everything was so colorful (and delicious I'm sure). But I'm still hung up on the "likely our last baby".... so you're saying there's a chance?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this theme! I also love the letter board at the ice cream museum pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The party was SO fun and I'm so glad we were able to celebrate with you guys!
    I absolutely LOVED the ice cream theme and am so glad you got to go back to the MOIC with the grandparents and for her birthday!
    The cupcake cones were my favorite part! I need to try to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most adorable birthday ever!!!! I love the outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Happy Birthday #ShoelessJulia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love her party theme! It sounds like a great few days celebrating :) I can't believe how fast time goes and that our littles are turning two!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your little girl! Looks like she had a good one. I remember my mom making ice cream cone cupcakes for me too. Brings back good memories.

    ReplyDelete