1.20.2017

The Year of Color {White} Edition

When first debating what to do with this month's prompt of 'white,' I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do. I knew the kids would be involved (I am a mom blogger after all), and I knew there would likely be a photo of them wearing white. It wasn't until a bit later that I decided to jump in the photo with them. That idea then morphed into a goal: get in the color prompt photo with the kids each month. So often I'm behind the camera, and rarely do I step out in front of it. The Year of Color is the perfect opportunity to get color coordinated and in some pictures with my kids. May it also be noted that this will also push me to step out of my yoga pants at least once a month.

If nothing else is accomplished for the rest of this link-up, at least the kids will have a few photos of the three of us together.
I knew I couldn't stop with just a photo of us wearing white. The prompt quickly grew into much more...

On Fridays Marcus doesn't have school. And, each Friday Julia is able to take a solid nap in her own crib (no car naps on Fridays!). During naptime Marcus and I are often looking for fun, quiet things to do while the littlest sleeps. In brainstorming ideas, I decided I would focus on each color prompt while making the most of that one-on-one time with Marcus.

Over the course of Friday afternoon and Saturday morning we read a book, did an experiment, made a craft, and whipped up a snack all centered around the color white. Each activity only lasted a handful of minutes, which was just right for a four-year old. Honest talk: I'm not sure I'll be this ambitious each month, but I'm really liking where this link-up is heading for us.
January :: White

We actually didn't have time to fit this book in Friday afternoon. But first thing Saturday morning we cracked it open. I attempted to have Julia sit in on this, but as evident by the photos, that didn't go as planned. Regardless, Marcus and I enjoyed a little snuggle session while reading about one of our favorite groovy cats.

Erupting Snow
Creating.
Since we don't get snow, and Marcus has been asking to go to the snow for months, I figured we could bring the snow to us. Marcus was really hesitant of the texture of the snow, but I thought it was awesome. It felt very much like snow, and was physically cool to the touch thanks to the shaving cream! We made a few snowmen, gave it a good splat on the counter a few times, and then set to work making it "erupt" with vinegar. Marcus hated the smell of the vinegar, but loved watching the transformation from "snow" to the "snow explosion."
Playing.
Exploding.
To make:
1 box baking soda
1 can shaving cream
1 cup vinegar
Large mixing bowl
Large spatula

Pour entire box of baking soda into the mixing bowl.
Add approximately 1/2 - 3/4 can of shaving cream to baking soda.
Mix until baking soda is fully incorporated with shaving cream.
Play with snow until ready to make it erupt.

Cotton Ball Snowflakes
By far, the easiest 'craft,' and probably a favorite of Marcus' (at least for now).
The first snowflake we made I helped draw a snowflake on the paper, and Marcus traced the lines with glue and added cotton balls atop the glue. That was basically the extent of the craft, easy-peasy; just the way I like to craft.
After the first snowflake I let Marcus go to town and do everything 100 percent on his own. The following snowflakes made by Marcus appeared to be more like blizzards. It was all insanely simple, but Marcus loved it because apparently kids love gluing things? This was the first time he'd ever used school glue, so that was extra fun to him. A week out from the original project and he is still making cotton ball blizzards.
To make:
Colored construction paper
Cotton balls
School glue
The Best Rice Krispy Treats
After all the white Marcus decided the finished treats needed a little sprucing up. Naturally the best way to do that was dump a ton of blue sprinkles on top.
This little activity excited me the most. Growing up I remember my dad making Rice Krispy Treats regularly. It's been years since I've had this simple and delicious snack. In the kitchen Marcus helped as much as possible. And, conveniently, Julia woke from her nap just in time to help do a little taste testing. Both kiddos have done a stellar job helping to make these white inspired treats disappear.
To make:
4 Tbsp butter
8 cups mini marshmallows, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp milk
6 cups rice krispies

Melt butter in large pot over low heat.
Once butter is melted add vanilla and 6 cups marshmallows.
When marshmallows are melted, add milk and remaining 2 cups of marshmallows. Just before marshmallows are fully melted (you want the mix kind of clumpy), add rice krispies.
Mix until rice krispies are evenly covered with marshmallow mix.
Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.
Lightly spread treats evenly throughout pan. Don't press too hard, as treats will become very hard if pressed together too much.
Allow to cool fully before cutting and serving.


Whew. That wraps up all things white for January. How did white inspire you? Be sure to drop your link below!

Next month's link up is Friday, February 17, and the color prompt is pink. That should be easy, right?! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Cheers to the weekend!

15 comments:

  1. So cute! His little tongue sticking out, adorable. Such a great goal for you to be in the photo too!! All those crafts, so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you decided to make the most of the prompt! Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea for a linkup. I love how you incorporated it! I'm looking forward to seeing next months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE all of this!!!! Esp the pic of the three of you :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your white activities! What fun! I looks like Marcus and Julia enjoyed the treats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your activities! Now I'm going to have to make our play snow erupt... Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, seriously, you are so fun!!! I LOVE the snow idea! Mason has never been to the snow and making snow is probably as close as he'll get for years (we're mean and boring LOL). I need to do this! He'd go crazy over it erupting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe!! All your pictures are so darling!! Julia eating off the counter is priceless. Confession- I have never made Rice Krispie treats before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, rice krispy treats! Love those! That snow looks really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not lost on me that we both have to manufacture our own snow -- one in CA, another in OH. I love the photo of Julia face down, enjoying her treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, this is amazing!! What a fun day! You win the white prompt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I love the erupting snow! Where was that when I was little!?

    So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of getting in a picture with your kids once a month! You thought of so many great things to do with your kids this month; I'm impressed. I love that last picture of Julia just putting her face right down on the table, hah! So excited to join in the link-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you sure are a fun mom! What great activities! And I love your idea of taking a photo with the kids each month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many cool ideas here! And I love your goal of getting in the photos at least once a month!

    ReplyDelete