9.23.2014

Ripe for the Picking // Fall Bucket List

Fall. It's FINALLY here! While it doesn't exactly *feel* like fall in these parts I wasn't about to let that deter us from partaking in an activity that essentially kick starts the season. It's also an activity I had never done in my entire life, until now. (The four apple trees that we used to have in our backyard do *not* count as apple picking - that was more like a chore than fun.)
We visited an apple orchard to pick apples!
Admittedly, I was worried how up to the occasion Scott would be, as the trip to the orchard would be a two hour trek. One way. To my pleasant surprise Scott was as enthusiastic for the event as I was.
The area we traveled to had at least a half a dozen apple farms all within a five mile loop.

There was no rhyme or reason for the particular farm we chose (except maybe the parking, as it was easy to find, and free). The place seemed to have a little something for everyone.

We only had enough time (and energy) to get in a few activities, and that was ok, as we had the. best. time.
Marcus had his own bag to collect apples, and he promptly went to work filling it. We didn't get 10 yards inside the orchard when Marcus picked up every apple he saw on the ground.
When Marcus wasn't looking we would empty his bag and hand it back to him. He would then immediately refill it. We must have done that no less than a dozen times.

Did I mention how gorgeous the area was? Holy buckets, it was like something right out of a magazine.
Nestled in the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains I couldn't decide what I wanted to photograph most, the mountains, or the orchard itself.
 Instead of picking one or the other I was able capture both.
If I had to guess, the highlight for Scott and Marcus was when we pressed our own cider.
1. Entrance to the cider pressing area.
2. Marcus took initiative to fill up our bucket with the needed apples to make the cider.
3. Marcus and I gave our apples a quick washing.
4. A few turns of the apple grater for Marcus.
5. Marcus helped Scott grate all 80-100 apples. Scott may or may not have made a competition out of this between himself and the people who were grating apples next to us - unbeknown to them.
6. Just checking out all the juice being made.
7. After the apples were all grated, and had fallen into a mesh bag, a large vice like thingy (the technical term, obviously) was used to press as much cider out as possible.
8. All that glorious cider spilling into our bucket.
YUM!
Our cider!
Naturally there were a few mandatory stops for photo ops.
After two solid hours of picking delicious apples, making our own cider, and just walking around the huge grounds and soaking up our scenery and time together, it was decided we needed to snag a quick lunch (and a few more photos) before calling it a day and heading back to the city.
 
Apple picking was everything I had hoped it would be, and more. Clearly we have created a yearly fall family tradition.

Have you started checking items off your Fall Bucket List? If so, be sure to link up (linky at the bottom) with Stephanie, Elizabeth, and me in our Fall Family Bucket List, and share your fall fun!


18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How gorgeous and picturesque! I HAVE to find a place for apple picking or a pumpkin patch! The cider looks amazing :) Happy Fall! So glad I got to link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pics are so perfect! Gosh I wish we had the mountains here. Or anything other than fields.

    Remind me again where the Neverland shirt is from??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way back in the day, when I was in 7th grade, we were required to take a class called 'Iowa History'. Our teacher was/is a huge Iowa history buff, he really loved the subject he taught. Anyway, if we were lucky enough to take the class in the Fall (which I was) he brought in an old, giant apple press and the class made apple cider. It was really cool to do! I am hoping to make the trek to the apple orchard north of Iowa City this weekend, fingers crossed nothing else pops up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a beautiful spot for apple picking! The cider looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun trip! We have a ton of apple orchards not too far away and I've never seen any where you could make your own cider. I'd love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool that you were able to press your own apple cider!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a gorgeous place and fun time! You're just making me even more jealous :) Hmmm, now I'll have to start googling the closest apple orchard to us....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mountains, that sweet baby face AND making your own cider?! Looks like a slice of heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures and your hair looks amazeballs! Oh, and Marcus's hair all swooped to the side? Ugh, I die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun! I have never been to an apple orchard, but it looks like a lot of fun. I am planning a trip to a pumpkin patch soon. It is still so hot here that I haven't felt in the Fall mood yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5. Marcus helped Scott grate all 80-100 apples. Scott may or may not have made a competition out of this between himself and the people who were grating apples next to us - unbeknown to them.
    hahaha, omg you have one of those too?! Chris is the same way. Everything is a competition. Nuts.

    Sounds like THE best!! I love it. I wish we had apples around here to pick. So lame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these photo's. Aww, your little one is adorable! I can not wait to go apple picking. Today is the first day of fall and it's only 65*, I can not tell you how excited I am! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apple picking in shorts, only in Cali and TX. I mean, seriously. Ya'll look like you had the best of time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is amazing. So so beautiful. Looks like you guys had an awesome time and made some happy memories. I love it when those trips turn out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. EEEEKKKK I am SO glad you guys went there and that you had fun! Makes the 2 hour ride totally worth it :) Did you get a caramel apple from there? We didn't this past time but last year they were amazing. The place is SO gorgeous and it makes for amazing pictures. I could have walked around all day. Marcus looks like a super star apple picker... Mason just wanted to run around and cause trouble lol. So, so happy you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome trip! We will be going to the orchard back in Illinois when we go soon! They always have such amazing goodies there. How cool that you got to press your own cider! How does it taste?!? I can just picture him walking around filling his bag over and over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you could make your own cider!! Looks like a perfect day adventure! I really hope we go and soon but our weekends have been a little house crazy lately. I love that Marcus was able to run around and it be such an active activity. Great photos too - that place looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete