11.16.2012

Confectioners "Crack" & RAK Roundup

The original name of this was "Christmas Crack," that just wasn't going to fly with me. It's not Christmas, and I'm not ready for Christmas. Why would you only want to eat this at Christmas? What about all the other holidays?! Shoot, give me any reason to make this and I probably will. Let's not save it just for the winter holidays.

When you make this have a list of people you want to hand this stuff out to. It's good. Real good. Like, lives up to its name, good. Like, Scott offered to take a bunch to work (this is monumental, people!). If you don't give this away you'll find you're sneaking bites here and there. Then you'll realize you have a real problem when you're tip-toeing into the kitchen when you should be fast asleep, picking little pieces, hoping no one will notice anything is missing in the morning. Not that I'm speaking from experience...
When you get to the ingredients don't go bolting in the other direction. You can easily cut this recipe in half, or, as I mentioned, hand it out to friends and family.

Confectioners "Crack"
1 12 oz box of Rice Chex cereal
1 12 oz box of Golden Grahams cereal
1 7 oz bag of shredded coconut
1 4 oz bag of slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) of butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups corn syrup
Combine Rice Chex and Golden Grahams, coconut and almonds in the largest mixing bowl you have.
Stir to combine.
In a large sauce pan, add sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Cook on high heat.
Stir continuously until sugar, corn syrup and butter come to a boil. Using a candy thermometer it should hit about 234 degrees.
Pour over cereal mixture, stir until all is well coated.
Pour mixture out onto 2 large baking sheets to cool.
Stir around occasionally to prevent large clumps from forming.
Store in air tight container until ready to serve.
This would be perfect for large gatherings, holidays, birthday treats, days that end in "y"...

Enjoy!

Source: Simple Fare, Fairly Simple


*****
Be Kind. Be Generous. Be Thankful.
Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Roundup


Friday, November 9
I'm a huge Cyclone fan. Huge. And, though I'm from the state of Iowa, I just cannot cheer for ISU's arch rival, the Iowa Hawkeyes. But, I  put all rivalry aside. With the help from my talented mom and her amazing sewing skills I had an adorable a little Hawkeye jacket made up for my friend's kiddo. This is monumental for me. At one point I made my mom promise to never make a baby jacket with the Hawk's logo... I wasn't able to share this last Friday, as I hadn't made it to the post office by the time I posted, and I didn't want any slipped surprises.
Saturday, November 10
While snagging lunch at Subway I purchased a gift card. I was a little bummed we were the only customers in the restaurant, but the Subway employee agreed to give the gift card to the next customers.




Sunday, November 11
With pockets full of change I placed the appropriate amounts into vending machines, and the machines that dole out little trinkets kids love. A few lucky people are going to have their goodies courtesy of a RAK.






Monday, November 12
My RAK came to me... I was doing a little shopping when a random woman approached me and asked if I could help her return some items she had purchased. The woman spoke in broken english and didn't have a photo I.D. (according to the story policies, a photo I.D. was needed for returns). I gladly tried to return her items so the woman could receive store credit. Unfortunately, there was a hang up with some store policies and the items being returned, so the poor woman was unable to return her purchase. Because the return didn't happen as planned I felt I shouldn't stop there. Later, while leaving the grocery store I saw a man who was stuffing his vehicle with several bags. I offered to take his cart to the cart return. The man seemed a bit surprised, but genuinely thankful to have the small chore taken off his hands.

Tuesday, November 13
Marcus had a doctors appointment (p.s. we hate shots). While in the waiting room I left a coloring book, some crayons, and a couple of activity boards for other kiddos to enjoy.




Wednesday, November 14
The 14th was World Diabetes Awareness Day. A while back I contacted the International Diabetes Federation and obtained pins. As part of the Federation's push to promote awareness they urged people to "pin personalities." I "pinned" people I knew who live with diabetes, or whose family members live with diabetes. If you would like to learn more about diabetes, or the International Diabetes Federation please click here.


Thursday, November 15
We have one of the greatest mail carriers. He is so sweet, and always seems to be in a good mood, he even doesn't mind our crazy dog barking his head off when the mail man comes to the door. To thank him for all of the aforementioned I made him a batch of scotcharoos.

1 comment:

  1. You are really an inspiration Desiree! I think I might have to steal a couple of these ideas for myself!

    ReplyDelete