11.07.2011

Crispy Baked Chicken Strips

There are just some days I do not feel like making a grocery store run. I hit up Ralph's (the local grocery store) almost every day. I was bound and determined to find a recipe that required minimal effort, and one where all the ingredients were at my disposal.

Lucky for me, Pinterest led me to The Way the Cookie Crumbles (Remember that word I despise saying/spelling???).

I introduce to you a childhood favorite that I can now say I've made on my own, and did not purchase in bulk in the freezer isle of Ralph's!

Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
Chicken strips without the frying process - yum!!
1/4 cup salt (if you're looking to cut back on your sodium intake you could probably reduce the salt, some)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into approximately 1-inch long strips
1/4 cup flour
2 cups finely crushed corn flakes (all I had on hand were the frosted flakes, so I used 'em, and the strips were tasty!)
1/2 tsp Paprika (optional; I love paprika, and with the frosted flakes I figured I'd use this spice to counter the sweetness some; loved the outcome)
Note: Using four chicken breast I found I totally ran out of the cornflake coating, next time I will probably up the amount of flour to 1/2 cup, and crushed corn flakes to 3 cups.

1. Dissolve salt in to a container holding one quart cold water. Add the chicken to the salt-water mix, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the cutlets from the brine and pat dry.
3. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400. Place an oven safe baking rack in a baking sheet.
4. In separate bowls place flour and butter. In a third bowl place the crushed corn flakes.
5. Dip the chicken cutlets in the flour, then the butter, and finally the corn flakes.
6. Place the coated chicken on the baking rack in the baking sheet.
7. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
8. Serve and enjoy!

To compliment this childhood favorite I paired it with another childhood staple --- mac n cheese (I told you I wasn't stepping foot in Ralph's)!! To add some sort of healthy proponent I thew some steamed veggies on the side of the plate (and ate them last... Just like a kid:)

Please try this one out, it's easy and good.
Your inner child will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment